Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akent35
Level 10

File System Support

I have 2 Roku 4661R devices, and I am wondering if via the USB port it will support devices formatted with the APFS File System. I have been using devices formatted with the HFS+ File System, but I am using the latest version of the Mac OS (Mojave), which uses the APFS File System.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: File System Support

Per the Roku support page: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908-how-to-use-roku-media-player-to-play-your-videos-music-an...

Roku Media Player supports drives that are formatted with the FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, and HFS+ file systems. You can also access different partitions on the USB drive.
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Jayden1
Level 7

H

0 Kudos
NTC
Level 10

deleted

0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

I also have 2 of those Roku Ultra devices, and also for my 2 Macs, run the latest version of Catalina, which requires the device/partition it is running on to be formatted as APFS. But other devices, partitions, etc, can be formatted as HFS+, EXFat, etc. Of course the preferable "other one" is HFS+.

I have 3 Samsung external SSDs. All 3 have 3 partitions. 2 of them have 2 partitions formatted as APFS for my SuperDuper! backups, and the third partition is formatted as HFS+, and it contains various files, folders, etc., including movies and TV series. The third SSD contains an APFS partition for (future) Big Sur testing, and 2 other partitions formatted as HFS+, one containing a lot of movies, and the other containing a lot of YV series. For any of those SSDs, via a USB connector plugged into either Roku Ultra, I can watch a movie or a TV series contained on those HFS+ partitions.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Another option for Macs would be to add the Paragon NFS driver that provides write access to NFS partitions.  It is not free but a limited version is included with Seagate drives.

0 Kudos