Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Feedback and desired features

We have an Ultra and a Premiere.

This is the second time I am typing this in.  The first time, the forum software just threw away all my input, so I have to do this over entirely.  So I am doing it in smaller sections.

Problem  1:  Ultra volume control buttons are in the wrong place.  I grip the remote to use my thumb on the directional buttons.   This puts the volume control buttons under by grip where they are uncomfortable and impossible to use.

Problem 2: Ultra voice vrs typing.   Typing is tediously slow, made even slower because of the lack of buttons on the remote.  The voice is inaccurate.  It either does not understand, or insists on choosing responses from some popularity poll.  It does not under words from content specific jargon.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Re: Feedback and desired features

Problem 3 :  Lack of buttons.  The same few buttons get used by ROKU and the channels.  I keep ending up in the ROKU preferences menu when I wanted the channel preference menu.

Problem 4 :  Lack of volume and TV control on the Premiere.  It has the infra-red transmitter, so all it would have needed is the three buttons and some way to program it with the control codes.

Problem 5 :  Lack of power off.   Both stay running, and stay hot, even when not being used.  I have plugged it into a power strip that I turn off when not in use.

Problem 6 :  When I bought a TV and then bought a separate ROKU premiere.  I rejected the TV sets with built-in ROKU because they came with a ROKU remote.  I needed the numeric keypad for antenna channel selection.   The button sparse ROKU remote is really crippling.

0 Kudos
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Problem 6 : I have never used the 4 channel buttons on the ROKU remote.

0 Kudos
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Desired Features:

Feature 1 :  Power-off button on the box.

Feature 2 :  Power-down after timeout when in main menu.

Feature 3 :  USB port on remotes that will accept a keyboard.  Direct keyboard input to search boxes in ROKU and channels.  It should be generally usable, for all input.   This does not need to be used often, but I really need something better than those hunt-and-peck on-screen keypads, where it takes around 100 clicks to type in a 10 character password.

Feature 4 :  Separate button on the remote for ROKU preferences.  An identifiable button for channel preferences so I do not have to play the game of try all choices until I hit the right one.

Feature 5 :  Ability to reprogram the 4 channel buttons on the remote to some channels that I actually use, like YOUTUBE and CRUNCHY-ROLL.

0 Kudos
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Feature 7 : Ability to save a search result (especially from voice search) as a visited site.  Youtube is good about this.  ROKU voice search will give entirely different results, making it difficult to find the same channel that was watched a week ago.   You will get 50 responses, all wrong. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@Engineer_1952 wrote:

Feature 3 :  USB port on remotes that will accept a keyboard.  Direct keyboard input to search boxes in ROKU and channels.  It should be generally usable, for all input.   This does not need to be used often, but I really need something better than those hunt-and-peck on-screen keypads, where it takes around 100 clicks to type in a 10 character password.

Feature 4 :  Separate button on the remote for ROKU preferences.  An identifiable button for channel preferences so I do not have to play the game of try all choices until I hit the right one.

The roku phone app works as a remote control and has a keyboard that you can use for some kinds of input.  It also has a 'recent channels' list for quick access to the things you use frequently.

Also, alexa has roku skills if you have an echo device or the phone app.  It can turn a roku TV on and off, not sure about the standalone devices.

0 Kudos
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Posting is about improvements to ROKU remote.

Do not have cell phone or apps, and that would just be the same as using the TV remote to change volume.

The feature request is about how to input search and password input using a device with such limited buttons.

Feature 8 :  There are universal remotes, such as made by RCA (I got one of those).  Tell us how we can program an RCA universal remote to control a ROKU premiere (which seems to be infra-red too).

Note: The RCA universal remote has lots of buttons, and a numeric keypad.   This would also need to software on the ROKU box to accept the numbers input and pass them on to channel apps.  As this is NOT a full keyboard with alphanumeric keys, it really does not solve the search and password input problem.

0 Kudos
Engineer_1952
Level 7

Feature 9 :  In the ROKU software, provide accept input from a universal remote.  The preferences enable would have several choices of device coding, and the ROKU device would communicate with the universal remote as if it was that device.  Set the ROKU preferences and the universal remote to the same device, and the remote could be used with the ROKU.  The user would need to select a device that they DO NOT HAVE, in order to avoid interference.   The chances of this working well are slim, but it can be implemented using existing universal remotes with only a software update.

0 Kudos
Engineer_1952
Level 7

On the Roku remote, I have accidently pushed one of those 4 channel buttons several more times.  You ought to try it for yourself, how inconvenient it is when you were trying to back up the playback a couple of seconds and find yourself exiting the channel altogether.

I am seriously considering opening the case of the Roku remote and just cutting those buttons off.

Those buttons have no usefulness at all for me, and are a constant hazard.  Please consider making some software change that would make them at least marginally useful, or at least not so harmful.  With one button click and a couple moves I can get to any of those channels anyway.

0 Kudos