Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Failed manual software updates on streaming stick

I've noticed that my device continues to ping for updates, but none have been successfully installed since March of this year.  When I try a manual update, the update completes, device restarts and then the device appears to hang at the animated Roku splash screen.  I've waited as long as 40 min before cycling power.  After cycling power, I'm back to the original version of software.  Tech support chat will not provide any debugging steps beyond connecting to a different network (which I don't have in my home), and they won't provide those instructions for a few hours. (Support request #(3192357)

I'm at 9.0.0.4142 and I'm trying to install 9.2.0.4086.  I tried this same process about a month ago.  Without updating, Roku channel does not work and I assume this is the reason why I can't get Disney+ to work.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Failed manual software updates on streaming stick

Settings> System> about> Name and model number of roku stick?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

3800X Roku Streaming Stick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@smoehle 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address and include the serial number of your device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you, I will try rebooting the router shortly and will have an opportunity to connect to a different network over the weekend.  I'm skeptical though.  Can someone explain why the ability to install apps, stream, check for updates and download the update does not indicate that the device is connecting to my network just fine?  Why is failure to install the update successfully not being debugged differently than failure to download the update?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Rebooted router, attempted manual SW update with same result - after device automatically restarts, it hangs on the splash screen.  I waited 22 minutes before cycling power. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@smoehle 

Thanks for the note. 

I have sent you a private message and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos