Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mauiman
Level 7

Express plus not waking up

2nd unit doing this. I turn on my Sony TV and then the Roku express +, but the Roku only has a black screen.
To get it to work, I need to manually re-boot it every day.
This of course is a pain. Literally as I just had knee surgery.
I figured rather than dealing with Roku's customer service department (been there done that), i"d just spend $35.00 on a new unit.
So, new unit, new HDMI cable, new power supply......same results. Won't wake up......black screen. Disco power, reboot and works fine.
Have the same Sony tv in another room, Roku Express (not plus) and it works flawlessly. Something not right in the plus model.
What say you Roku???
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Express plus not waking up

I can’t speak for Roku, but I can suggest some troubleshooting steps.

Swap Roku boxes. Just the boxes. Leave everything else the same. Literally everything. Power, USB connector, remote, everything. Just swap the boxes.

Does the issue follow the Roku?

If so, it’s the Roku. If not, it’s something else.

One other thing:
"mauiman" wrote:
... I turn on my Sony TV and then the Roku express + ...

Just how are you turning on a Roku Express+? It doesn’t have a power button, so... ??
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
mauiman
Level 7

Swapped the unit first. Brand new Express +. Same problem. Swapped the power supply next. Same problem. Swapped the HDMI cable next. Same problem.
Just turned it on....same problem. Second time today.
By "Turning it on" I mean waking it up........it has a sleep type mode. Had the original unit for months w/o issue. Might have been messed up in an update, possibly.
Again, same TV in another room, Roku express, no issues. It's something to do with the PLUS model only. Two in a row bought months apart.
0 Kudos
mauiman
Level 7

It's certainly the Roku. Just trying to figure out why and how to fix it.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Nowhere do you say you followed my suggestion. Your issues can be explained by the TV having a problem. My suggestion rules that out, if the issue follows the Roku.

Seriously, just swap the Express and Express+. Nothing else. Nothing else at all. Just swap those two items. If the issue follows the Roku, it’s the Roku. If the issue remains with the TV, it’s not the Roku.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

The fact that it’s happened on two different Express+ devices doesn’t mean it’s that line of boxes. Walmart, the largest retailer in the US sells them. If it was the Express+, there would be a large number experiencing the issue.

Take the Express+ off the TV — leave all the cables in place, just take the box itself — and connect it to the other TV. If the problem now shows on that TV, it’s 100% that Roku Express+ device.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
mauiman
Level 7

Let me get this straight.
1) My Roku Express plus does NOT turn on when the "OK" or "Home" buttons are pushed.
2) When i unplug the Roku express plus POWER cable and re-connect it, the Roku Express Plus works just fine. (This suggests to me a power supply issue or an issue with the Roku remote)
Not seeing how this is my TV's fault.
The TV is basically a monitor displaying the HDMI video and audio signal from the Roku. No different, really, than a DVD player.
The TV worked perfectly fine with the original Roku plus for 7 months.
The TV worked fine with the new Roku plus for a couple days.
The Roku works fine when when power to it is removed, then re-connected. The Roku only has issues after sitting idle for long periods (Overnight, for example)
Is the TV "fixing" the Roku or itself when the power to the Roku is removed and re-connected?
How does the TV interfere with the Roku powering on and opening the home screen?
Anyone from Roku wanna chime in?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Let me get this straight:
You don’t want to do basic troubleshooting. You’d rather spend more time arguing over a simple test than actually performing the test. Got it.

Good luck with your issue.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
mauiman
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
Let me get this straight:
You don’t want to do basic troubleshooting. You’d rather spend more time arguing over a simple test than actually performing the test. Got it.

Good luck with your issue.
Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. IE: Replace unit, replace power supply, replace cables, replace remote, etc.
I've replaced the Roku unit, the HDMI cable and the power supply.
I DID ask for Roku to chime in. Not once. Twice.
Feel free now to defend the lack of a response from Roku.
It's not turning ON.
Only the power supply or the remote power these things on. It is NOT "powered" by my TV in any way, shape or form.
I've swapped out the remotes. I"ll hope that fixes the issue. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

I experience exactly the same issue that started on both Express+ units after 8.1 software update. I factory reset the units, but as soon as it gets the latest firmware, the issue persists. Swapped the TV inputs - the same. Changed the HDMI cables - the same. My workaround is clumsy, but works for me. I just change the input, and then go back to the Roku input. That somehow initiates HDMI handshaking and makes Roku operational again. It's a shame, but unless Roku starts testing their firmware better or let's us roll back, we are stuck...
0 Kudos