Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yiwen_chung
Level 7

Re: Express+ HDMI to DVI upgrade 8.1 no longer works

I've been trying to resurrect my HD-ready rear projection TV bought in 2003 (Toshiba 50HDX82 50" with DVI/HDCP) into a "smart tv". The tv picture quality is still very good after the capacitors on the hypermodule board were replaced just this month. I tried the Roku Express with 3rd party HDMI to DVI converter, but this setting did not work, so I returned the Roku Express and the converter. Then I saw the posts in this thread about someone using Roku Express Plus that worked (then it did not work after the software update). I thought to give it a try and bought a Roku Express Plus from Walmart on 7/27/2019. And it works!!! My tv supports 720P and 1080i (not 1080p). When I connected Roku Express plus to my tv using a HDMI to DVI cable (not a converter, just a cable with one end with HDMI and the other end DVI, which is a digital DVI), and using the RCA cable to get the sound to my tv (the DVI has R/L audio input), it powered up just fine. But like many people said, the purple color appears. I was able to get rid of the purple distortion color by going to the display setting by changing it to 720P, then to 1080p (which my tv does not support), then for some unknown reason, the purple color changed back to normal color, then I quickly changed it to 720p, which my tv supports. Now it works perfectly.My Roku express plus has software version 9.1.0, build 4111-51. The model is 3910RW. Hope my experience will help someone who tries to do the same with their old HD-ready rear projection tv. Good luck. 
0 Kudos
yiwen_chung
Level 7

I would like to clarify how I make the Roku express plus work on my hd-ready projection tv that has only dvi (digital) input. It seems like a workaround because if I follow the steps in the manual, I always see the distorted purple color. This is the workaround steps: first, go to setting, then select display type, then select 1080p (which is not supported by my tv). The tv screen will go blank (or dark). Then unplug the hdmi to dvi cable on the roku express plus unit. Then plug in the cable back to roku unit. Then my tv screen shows normal color at that time. Then I change the display type to 720p. As long as you don’t unplug the usb power, the color remain normal. If you unplug the usb power, you just follow my workaround and the color will work again. Hope this helps.
GWyatt
Level 7

I followed this work around, somewhat, and it worked for me. I selected a mode, 1080p, that my TV/monitor does not support and the picture came up with normal colors, although blown up (my TV/monitor only supports up to 720p.) Then I switched the Roku to 720p and everything is normal.

If the Roku resets/restarts it goes back to the pink screen and I have to follow the process again. I did NOT have to disconnect/reconnect my HDMI to DVI cable from the unit for this to work.

Just for your information, my TV/monitor is an older NEC Plasma TV/monitor as in it does not have sound/speakers nor does it have a TV tuner. It does not have HDMI but does have DVI, RGB, composite, and component inputs. I get the sound from the composite/sound cable and send that to my stereo receiver. I had a Roku LT hooked up but I took advantage of the upgrade to the Roku Express+ (2018) model to replace the LT.

0 Kudos