Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cragi9
Level 7

Express+ HDMI to DVI upgrade 8.1 no longer works

I have an old Sony XBR950L television that has a DVI input. I have a HDMI to DVI adapter that I have been using to connect my Roku Express+. Everything worked great until this past Tuesday, May 29, where the screen is now just blank. I can unplug the Roku to reboot and the the TV can display the Roku boot screen, but when it gets to the main menu, then display flashes distorted images a few times then stops displaying anything. I took the Roku to another TV with a HDMI input and the Roku worked fine. I then took it back to the older Sony XBR950L and tried the composite connection, that works fine as well. At this point i figured perhaps the cord or the adapter went bad and replaced them. However seeing the same problem with a different cord and HDMI to DVI adapter. I took the Roku back to the working HDMI TV and checked the firmware version and noticed it was upgraded on May 29th to Roku 8.1, the exact time we started to see the problem. I would take an educated guess this upgrade caused the problem with HDMI to DVI we're having. 

Is there a way to roll back the Roku upgrade to the previous version? Will this problem be fixed in the future?

We recently cut the cord with cable and I'm trying to sell to my girlfriend streaming is a good option for us but this problem giving her more doubts. Help! 

UPDATE
I figured out the way to roll back to the previous Roku version to 8.0. Now my Sony XBR950L TV works again with the HDMI to DVI adapter. The problem seemingly now will be the next time the Roku updates, we'll be back to the problem. It says it checks for updates once a day so I expect the problem will be back soon. Bummer. I don't see any easy way to prevent Roku updates. Bummer again.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
apachechef
Level 7

Re: Express+ HDMI to DVI upgrade 8.1 no longer works

Just got the 8.1 update and have same problem and similar setup,
Sony KV36s510?
HDMI to DVI input
Express+

Hope this gets solved, as the Express+ was bought because of the specific ability to keep this great set alive.
Going to look for the way to rollback the update, thanks for posting this.
0 Kudos
apachechef
Level 7

"cragi9" wrote:
I have an old Sony XBR950L television that has a DVI input. I have a HDMI to DVI adapter that I have been using to connect my Roku Express+. Everything worked great until this past Tuesday, May 29, where the screen is now just blank. I can unplug the Roku to reboot and the the TV can display the Roku boot screen, but when it gets to the main menu, then display flashes distorted images a few times then stops displaying anything. I took the Roku to another TV with a HDMI input and the Roku worked fine. I then took it back to the older Sony XBR950L and tried the composite connection, that works fine as well. At this point i figured perhaps the cord or the adapter went bad and replaced them. However seeing the same problem with a different cord and HDMI to DVI adapter. I took the Roku back to the working HDMI TV and checked the firmware version and noticed it was upgraded on May 29th to Roku 8.1, the exact time we started to see the problem. I would take an educated guess this upgrade caused the problem with HDMI to DVI we're having. 

Is there a way to roll back the Roku upgrade to the previous version? Will this problem be fixed in the future?

We recently cut the cord with cable and I'm trying to sell to my girlfriend streaming is a good option for us but this problem giving her more doubts. Help! 

UPDATE
I figured out the way to roll back to the previous Roku version to 8.0. Now my Sony XBR950L TV works again with the HDMI to DVI adapter. The problem seemingly now will be the next time the Roku updates, we'll be back to the problem. It says it checks for updates once a day so I expect the problem will be back soon. Bummer. I don't see any easy way to prevent Roku updates. Bummer again.

How did you roll it back?
0 Kudos
cragi9
Level 7

To roll back do this on the remote:
[HOME] 5 times, [FF] 3 times, [REW] 2 times
There will be an update option select this (even though it says update, it's really a downgrade to the previous version, it will state the current and previous version)

This trick worked for me for a few weeks, but just this past Monday the Roku upgraded again to 8.1.x and broke my HDMI to DVI. This time it's not letting me roll back to 8.0. Stuck now using composite input so no more HD. Hopefully they resolve this bug as I've been using this type of setup for over 6 years and only now have I had a problem.
0 Kudos
apachechef
Level 7

thanks, tried that, stuck on 8.1, it doesn't go back.
Interesting, pretty sure it was 8.1 build 4131 until I tried to revert a few times, then it read 4131-28.
Dunno if I misread it at first, wonder if the -28 means anything.

I've tried it on different HDMI to DVI cable, and different monitors, but no luck.
I get two Roku boot screens, with  pulsing dot at the bottom, then a purple flash, then no signal.
I'm thinking the update screwed over the ability to HDMI to DVI because of HDCP?
I hope this gets fixed, annoying that this "update" broke what was working great
0 Kudos
Tedkuk
Level 7

I'm having the same problem. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
WGB123
Level 7

I'm also having the same problem with Express+ using HDMI to DVI cable on Westinghouse LTV-27w2.  Upgrade to 8.1 is when problems began. Rollback not possible.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

It is believed that this problem has been fixed. Can anyone confirm, that was experiencing the problem before?
rokudale
0 Kudos
butherous
Level 7

I can confirm that this problem still exists.  I just purchased Roku Express Plus, Model 3910RW, Software 9.1.0 build 4111-51.  I was previously using a Roku 2 XS with a DVI to HDMI cable with no video problems.  I plugged in the Roku Express Plus using the same DVI to HDMI cable and it is a distorted, flashing, light pink version of the user interface during startup.  Once the main screen loads, the flashing goes away, but the user interface is still pink and blurry.  If I use the standard definition cord on the Roku Express Plus, the video works fine.  If I use the DVI to HDMI cable on old Roku 2 XS, it still works fine.  Has anyone resolved this issue?

Main Screen:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vXvdG74s9jQOSqJNixhB7_HPiQVfJsNQ/view?usp=sharing
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for letting us know. Unfortunately, we don't support the use of 3rd party signal converters or splitters, as we cannot certify these types of adapters for compatibility or functionality. 

The best recommendation we can make would be try to a different type of connection to your TV from your Roku device. You might also try using a different brand/make converter/splitter, but we cannot guarantee functionality nor compatibility. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos