Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slypenslyde
Reel Rookie

Express+ Constantly overheating

Jump to solution

I got an Express 4K+ yesterday and set it up last night. Everything seemed to be working well.

This morning when I woke up it was complaining that it was overheating. Sure enough, it was very warm. So I unplugged it and moved it to a different, more open location. 

On my lunch break, it was overheating again. It's sitting perfectly open on a rack, it has airflow on all sides. It shouldn't be overheating like this. What's going on? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Express+ Constantly overheating

Jump to solution

@Slypenslyde 

Thanks for the follow up.

We believe this issue has been resolved with the latest software update. We would recommend checking for a manual update by going to Settings > System > System Update on your device and seeing if you are still seeing the issue occur.

For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Slypenslyde

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Does the overheating error message shows up when you are accessing a specific channel or regardless of what you are doing on your Roku device? 

Please reply here with the serial number of your Roku Express 4K+ so we can help you out. It can be viewed by going to Settings > System > About or underneath the player itself. 

All the best,
Kariza 

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Slypenslyde
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for replying, @RokuKariza-D, here's the information you asked for.

I watched about an hour of a Netflix show on it last night and didn't see the message. When I saw the message this morning it had been idle all night, probably running that fish screen saver. 

Same thing this morning. After I let it cool down I watched about 15 minutes of Pluto TV, then went back to the home screen and turned everything off once I started to work. When I took lunch a couple of hours later it was overheating while "idle" again.

I've had it unplugged since then, I've plugged it in again to get the serial number but I still have some work to do so I can't do a thorough watch test. 

It's a model 3941X Roku Express 4K+, this forum doesn't have that in the product list. The serial number is X01600L2TJFU. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Appreciate the prompt reply, @Slypenslyde

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Slypenslyde
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

New information to add, @RokuKariza-D:

It's a couple of hours later, I turned on my TV, and it's overheating. But this time I had a think. I put it on the home screen, and within a minute or two I stopped getting the overheat notice. So I've disabled the screen saver. I believe it was the "Aquatic Life" screensaver, whatever ships default. I'll know in a couple more hours if that was the problem.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Slypenslyde 

Thanks for the follow up.

We believe this issue has been resolved with the latest software update. We would recommend checking for a manual update by going to Settings > System > System Update on your device and seeing if you are still seeing the issue occur.

For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Slypenslyde
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This does seem to solve the problem. I switched the screensaver back on and it's been running "idle" all afternoon. It's still a little warm, but no overheat warnings and it's actually cooler than my Uverse receiver so I'd say this seems more normal. Thanks!

0 Kudos