Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Level 15

Express 3900 needs to always load all channels, other than Netflix

My Express 3900 was updated to 9.4, and now it seems to not have enough memory to keep channels loaded, other than Netflix. For every other channel, it will have to re-download it before starting if I load another channel beforehand. Despite good WiFi, it still can take 10-15 seconds to load.

The Express is used in a bedroom, and not used very often, either. I did notice some more constant loading before, but not sure if it was this bad.

Anyone else notice this? I was thinking of updating my Roku 4 used in the living room, which has an SD card to help hold channels. With the new Ultra not having an SD card slot, I was wondering just how bad it could be.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Express 3900 needs to always load all channels, other than Netflix

RokuOS has done this for years, especially with lower-memory models.  The longer the device goes without usage, and/or the more app/etc updates there have been, the more this occurs.

NetFlix's "preferred loading" position (without delay) is a direct (desired) consequence of preferential treatment as its (updates are) often included with RokuOS updates (build-linked/specific updates).

After all, it started out life as the host OS of the "NetFlix Player" (later released as the Roku DVP N1000), and that's never really changed, though ironically other platforms have newer/better versions of the NF client SDK (e.g, Fire TV, Shield, TiVo (all Android) have the 2020 client/SDK, whereas the "latest and greatest" Roku model (4800) has the 2019 client/SDK).

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

Re: Express 3900 needs to always load all channels, other than Netflix

I'm just noticing it is doing it on ALL channels now. It never used to do that before.

0 Kudos