Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 13

Errors attempting to use Hotel Connect

I did a search, but couldn't find my particular issue. I just purchased a new Roku Stick, with the intent of using it when I travel. Today was my first trip, and I am attempting to connect to a Hilton property. But here's the issue:

Connect to hhonors the first time, no issues and the stick asks if I am in a hotel or dorm. I answer yes, and I get the dialog that says to connect to the Roku via Wi-Fi direct from my cell phone. I tried from both my iPhone 5S and an iPad 2. Both devices told me I was using an incorrect passcode. However, a) I wrote it down and b) there's no way to get that information screen to appear again. Every time I force a connection change, it now just connects without prompting the hotel question. I even did a network settings reset, but it still doesn't prompt for the hotel question. Since I need to re-authenticate every 24 hours, how do I force the Roku to allow me to Wi-Fi direct connect, and where can it tell me the passcode?

I am not computer illiterate, but this has been a frustrating experience. I returned an Amazon Fire TV stick because it didn't work as well as the Roku Stick (much slower performance), but I never tested its hotel function. Perhaps I should have...
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
24 Replies

Re: Errors attempting to use Hotel Connect

Here are the instructions. Maybe got into Network settings and manually set it up again? The passcode would come from the hotel (front desk, maybe?)

https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -I-travel-
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Yep, I've used those instructions. The passcode that is failing is what the Roku tells me to use to connect my phone to it to access the web authentication page. I'm never reaching the point of needing the hotel authentication. If I try to connect to another Wi-Fi (AT&T is also showing), then back to the hotel, it never asks me the question about if I'm on a hotel connection. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can tell the Roku to "forget" the connection and start from scratch.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
Yep, I've used those instructions. The passcode that is failing is what the Roku tells me to use to connect my phone to it to access the web authentication page. I'm never reaching the point of needing the hotel authentication. If I try to connect to another Wi-Fi (AT&T is also showing), then back to the hotel, it never asks me the question about if I'm on a hotel connection. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can tell the Roku to "forget" the connection and start from scratch.

Are you authenticating the iPad/iPhone to the Hotel Wi-Fi first?
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Are you authenticating the iPad/iPhone to the Hotel Wi-Fi first?

No, I was connecting to the Roku direct, as the instructions state. The Roku is connected to the hotel Wi-Fi. I don't believe the phone/tablet will support multiple Wi-Fi connections at the same time. I know my laptop will not.

EDIT: OK, I've re-read those instructions, and maybe I'm not following them correctly. I'll give it another shot this afternoon.
Dan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Nope, I followed the instructions explicitly, and cannot connect either my iPhone or iPad to the Roku to allow authenticating to the hotel WiFi. It always tells me I'm using an incorrect passcode. I noticed today that the passcode the Roku told me was different than the one from yesterday. There needs to be some way to look this up in the settings.

I'm stuck on this trip with using my MiFi or phone hotspot, but that runs through my data plan too fast to make it a regular occurrence. I have trips the next two weeks as well, so if someone can offer any assistance I'd appreciate it. :?
Dan
0 Kudos
sirspeed
Level 7

There is a problem with the Hotel Connect feature. I stay at different Hilton hotels every week. As described above, when connecting to hhonors or attwifi networks at Hilton properties one of three things happen.

1) the hotel connect features work properly:
- using the Roku, when connecting to the hotel wifi I select option for I am at a hotel
- use my iPad to connect directly to Roku
- the hotel portal/splash page appears on my iPad and I login as necessary
- Roku connects as intended.

or

2) The hotel connect feature does not finish it's connection before reseting:
- using the Roku, when connecting to the hotel wifi I select option for I am at a hotel
- use my iPad to connect directly to Roku
...but then...Roku resets its access point connection and I get a incorrect password while iPad is connecting to the Roku
...or...I am able to connect to the Roku access point and the hotel portal/splash page appears on my iPad but before I finish logging into the hotel portal the Roku access point connection resets and then Roku 'appears' (thought it isn't) to be connected to the hotel network.

or

3) The hotel connect features never appears and the Roku thinks it is automatically connected to the hotel network and the internet properly (though it isn't).

This is frustrating. There are a few work arounds, but it shouldn't be so flaky. Roku should test their product on Hilton networks multiple times and they will see. Without properly logging into the hotel portal/splash page the Roku isn't actually on the Internet and it's so frustrating. Doing a full reset and reboot of the network connected does not fix this, it only rolls the dice and you get one of the three scenarios I listed above.

One work around is to change the MAC address of your laptop to the MAC address of the Roku and then connect to the hotel network with that.
Another work around is to use your laptop to connect to the initial hotel portal page. Within that URL you can change the MAC address and IP address to that of your Roku, resubmit, and log in that way. After which your Roku will be properly authenticated on the network and have Internet access.

Roku please address.
0 Kudos
dssonic
Level 7

For what it's worth, I am a heavy Roku user but have an Amazon Fire TV stick just for travelling because it connects flawlessly in hotels; it has never once failed me. You don't need a phone to connect, just the stick and remote (and it is really simple/intuitive).
0 Kudos
boochkn
Level 7

Thanks for the post, airspeed. I am a new roku streaming stick user and I have just had this happen to me after moving from one hilton brand hotel to another in one day. It's so simple for them to use a legit URL to test for actual internet connectivity or have an option to manually activate the wifi direct setup algorithm. For now I am glad you posted the workaround but you are correct, Roku really needs to fix this asap!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Thanks to both sirspeed and dssonic. I too was worried about the stick always connecting to the hhonors WiFi and thinking it didn't need authentication. I may just pick back up an Amazon TV stick for my travels. 

However, I tried something different that has worked so far. I bought an inexpensive D-Link router that has the ability to be configured as a bridge as well. If the hotel has an Ethernet connection, I plug it in and use my laptop to authenticate to the hotel. Then the Roku Stick connects to the D-Link and all is well. If the hotel only has wireless, I use it as a bridge, again use the laptop to authenticate, then connect the Roku. The bridge method uses my SSID and not the hotel's, so the Roku doesn't have a connection issue. I've been at a Doubletree twice in the last two weeks and both methods worked fine. Of course, this requires some knowledge of networking and an understanding of what method will work in what scenario. At least for me, it seems to work.
Dan
0 Kudos