Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P_sh
Reel Rookie

Error message “the device is overheating”

My roku device keeps showing the error message “the device is overheating”. I ‘ve tried removing it and reinstalling it after few mins but still the same thing happens after few mins! Just wanted to see what’s the problem and what should I do? 
thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Overheating

Hi @P_sh

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing. 

We would recommend following the suggestions below to see if that will resolve the overheating problem. 

What should I do?

WARNING: Be careful! The unit may be hot.

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    • Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    • On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers; 
    • In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the above message or the Roku player shows a SOLID RED LIGHT, then immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player.

If your Roku Streaming Stick is overheating, you can try installing a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

Reply here with the device serial number if the issue persists. The information can be found at the back of the device or by navigating to Settings > System > About

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Roku Express+ overheating

I'm having the same issue.  I hope this isn't a manufacturing issue.  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Blacksheep101

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue? If you haven't yet, you can follow my suggestion above. 

If the issue persists, reply here with the device serial number so we can further help you out. It can be found underneath the device or by navigating to Settings System About

Feel free to visit this Support link to know more about overheating issues: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SDAde87
Reel Rookie

This appears to be a big problem that is almost impossible to get a direct answer to or help on.  How can we get someone at Roku to help solve this issue?  It is very frustrating

0 Kudos
P_sh
Reel Rookie

I tries these steps but didnt solve the problem and I ‘m still getting the overheating error message constantly! The serial number for my device is “YF004U307829”

0 Kudos
SDAde87
Reel Rookie

I have had this problem each time i use it.  I have been unable to get any help from Roku and I am not sure what the next step is.  The device hangs a distance from any other items and is well ventilated so I do not think that is the problem.  With as many post as there are online regarding overheating, it would seem like a known issue.  Why is it not being dealt with and fixed?  Do all of Roku’s devices operated like this?

0 Kudos
kevinmim42

no live user support at all on here to help people fix issues.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the reply, @P_sh

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @SDAde87 @kevinmim42

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Have you tried all the suggestions on this FAQ: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If so and the issue persists, reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be viewed underneath the device or by navigating to Settings System About

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos