Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boe
Level 7

Does the new Roku stream DTS-X, DTS-MA and Dolby Atmos?

I should have asked - not sure if I should start a new thread.   Does the Roku stream from MKV - DTS-MA and Dolby Atmos?   Almost every MKV I have is currently DTS-MA but a few are Dolby Atmos but I'm really looking forward to DTS-X.
0 Kudos
39 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Does the new Roku stream DTS-X, DTS-MA and Dolby Atmos?

https://support.roku.com/article/208754 ... sic-photos

Not sure if this page has been updated or not, but it should reflect the bulk of compatible formats currently supported.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
boe
Level 7

Thanks for the reply!
DTS is only supported via pass through on both Roku set-top-boxes and Roku TV’s. You must connect your Roku player via HDMI or S/PDIF to a TV or receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital or DTS in order to hear videos with audio tracks in those formats.
Since it doesn't go into detail about what type of DTS or Dolby I'm going to guess either it needs to be updated and doesn't cover the new player or the new player doesn't have that capability.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Shawn, that page has not been updated, as it shows what the current line supports. I don't know if any of the new players have changed anything as far as supported media formats.

Boe, the current Roku boxes will NOT pass HD audio via HDMI. My DTS-MA files only play the lossy DTS core. My TrueHD files will not play due to unsupported audio. Atmos and DTS-X will require the same passthrough ability that MA and TrueHD require.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
boe
Level 7

Thanks.  When you say current - didn't they just release some new players?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"boe" wrote:
Thanks.  When you say current - didn't they just release some new players?

Yes, by current, I meant everything prior to the new releases. Since they are just now starting to become available, we haven't had confirmation about any new codec support. Since passing HD audio through HDMI has been a much requested addition, I would have expected Roku to make it known if it was supported by the new boxes. So far nothing has been mentioned. I'd also like to see support for MPEG-2 video, but don't expect it.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

I was able to get Dolby Atmos with Warcraft via its 4K version.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"africanlivedit" wrote:

I'm not familiar with it. Is that a game that loads on a Roku? Then that would certainly prove that the HD audio is capable of being passed through the Roku. And what model Roku are you using? A Roku 4, or one of the new boxes?
Dan
0 Kudos
boe
Level 7

Were you able to do it via streaming through the network?
0 Kudos
fljoemon
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"africanlivedit" wrote:

I'm not familiar with it. Is that a game that loads on a Roku? Then that would certainly prove that the HD audio is capable of being passed through the Roku. And what model Roku are you using? A Roku 4, or one of the new boxes?

Warcraft is a movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/)
0 Kudos