Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrokenEye
Level 8

Does the Express+ have a USB slot that I can use to play from an external storage device?

Like most people here (or at least, most Roku 2 users here), I got an email today saying that support for my device would be ending soon, and was offered a discount to upgrade to a Roku Express+. I'm still not 100% convinced that the change is actually something I need to be concerned about, but I'm trying to find out all I can before actually making the decision.

There don't seem to be many meaningful differences between the two devices (or at least, not many differences that are meaningful to me. Higher resolution and faster speeds area always nice, but neither is exactly lacking on my current device, so it's not really a motivating factor), so I only really have one question that I haven't already found an answer to elsewhere:

Does the Express+ support playback from external USB devices? I didn't see USB ports mentioned in any of the promotional material, and I don't want to lose access to my thumbdrive full of public domain vintage schlock.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Does the Express+ have a USB slot that I can use to play from an external storage device?

I believe the only current device with a USB port is the Ultra (and not the "Ultra LT").

-JT

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

Re: Does the Express+ have a USB slot that I can use to play from an external storage device?

Has it got any kind of external media ports at all?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

No.  It's really the bare-bones model.

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

So what does the "+" mean?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

@BrokenEye wrote:

So what does the "+" mean?

The + version adds analog outputs for non-HD TV's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BrokenEye
Level 8

Oh, well that's nice to have, I guess. If it weren't for the USB thing, I'd probably chose the Express+ over the Express because of that.

0 Kudos