Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonAT
Reel Rookie

Does roku work in Austria (Europe)?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am living in Austria (Europe) and would be very interested in getting a Roku Ultra. However, I have found mixed articles online if Roku works in Europe or not. Does Roku as of now work in Austria/Europe? Specially the channels for Youtube, Spotify, Amazon Prime and Disney+?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Does roku work in Austria (Europe)?

Jump to solution

@SimonAT 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@SimonAT 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SimonAT
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny, thanks for your answer. Does Roku not keep a list of what is available where?

How is it with the chrome cast ability of Roku. Is this available regardless of region?

A key feature for me is private listening. Is it possible to cast content from an Android to Roku while private listening on the same or another android device using the Roku app?

Greetings Simon

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yup. If you get an Ultra you can listen privately with your Android phone or the remote.

Go for it I think you'll be happy.

Chrome cast is a competing device I think Roku has more features.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
l0gh0rn

Jump to solution

I guess there's even too little interest in the Austrian market to list Roku's services. It's a pity, I'd love to buy Roku, but since the love isn't mutual I have to go with Amazon Fire TV.

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I think Roku has more to offer.

You can get one and keep the receipt to return it.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
IanCardona
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just bought the Stick +. I live in Portugal. 

The American channels will not be available (to be expected) 

HBO and Disney+ are not available in the store channel as of 12.dec.2020. And even if you have the APPs installed in your smartphone (iOS or Android) you can't Cast the content to your TV. It won't recognize Roku as a cast device. 

Also, the official Roku APP it's not available in any smartphone store (here in Portugal) 

YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, Apple TV do work perfectly. 

0 Kudos
strange_guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Simon,

Sorry for replying to this old thread but I was wondering if you ended up ordering a Roku for use in Austria. I'm Austrian too and would like to know what Roku services work. I mainly need Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the ability to use airplay. If those three work then I'd be pretty happy. I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

All the best,

Christian

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@strange_guy 

Netflix will probably work. Amazon Prime Video will probably not. AirPlay probably doesn't care where you are. Mirroring to a device does not matter regarding location. Casting, however, is simply another way of launching an app, so location does matter.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

strange_guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi DB,

Thank you for your reply.

Seeing as Roku launched in Germany and Austria and Germany overlap when it comes to Amazon I'm hoping that Amazon Prime Video might be supported. And I know that Airplay has some restrictions for mirroring video apps, so I was wondering if someone in Austria could tell me what worked.

0 Kudos