Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cathysusanwelsh
Reel Rookie

Re: Does Roku use data when tv is off?

I was told this over 18 months ago.  and Press the Home button now before powering off. 

I also needed to set the TV setting to turn the USB off when the TV is turned off, so the Roku actually powers off.'

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Cathysusanwelsh wrote:

I also needed to set the TV setting to turn the USB off when the TV is turned off, so the Roku actually powers off.'

That works as well, although many TVs don't provide enough power in their USB ports for a Roku player. And some don't work from USB power at all. Pressing the Home button works on all devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Cathysusanwelsh
Reel Rookie

I did not state that pressing the HOME button did not solve the problem.  I just mentioned that turning the USB to off when the TV is off, also powers off the Roku or else the ROku stays powered on at the HOME Screen, and uses power and gets quite hot over time.

I did NOT say that this stopped the streaming.  I just mentioned that in case people wanted the ROKU powered off all together if they are plugged a USB slot on the TV for power.

This issue was resolved back in June 2020 by the way.

0 Kudos
CG901
Channel Surfer

Dan, 

Thank you for your comment.  I am testing this now.  I had contaced Roku support a few times on this question but got conflicting answers.  (My Roku Ultra is not powered by USB, just the 12V wall adapter). 

Scott 

0 Kudos
CG901
Channel Surfer

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, that article has one big mistake right off the bat:

"There are multiple Roku devices out there, and all of them are designed with an on-off switch."

That is completely in error. No Roku player has ever had an on-off switch. A Roku TV has a power button that will put the TV in standby mode, as do virtually every other brand of TV. But the power button found on Roku remotes are there solely to turn off a connected device. For example, I can hit the power button on my Ultra, and it will turn off my TV and my AVR, all connected via HDMI so CEC is controlling it. But the Roku itself is still "on". 

Dan

CG901
Channel Surfer

I have confirmed that using the HOME button, before powering Roku down, cuts the data stream.  

Thanks for guidance on this.  You saved me gigabits.

Orly15

Going back to “home” won’t fix it. The only thing that that will stop Roku from using your data is unplugging the tv from the wall, no electricity and it will stop streaming. Trust me!!!!! I tried everything else. I went over 150GB in 25 days because if this. Unless Roku fix this issue I will never buy one again. I will sale the one I have and go back to firestick. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Orly15 Roku is not using "Gigabits" of data if it's not streaming. Pressing Home ensures that nothing is streaming. Yes, there's still some minor data passage when the Roku isn't in active use, but if streaming is stopped there's not a significant amount of data used. 

Dan

@CG901 I accept your answer about returning to ROKU home stops streaming and using data. Thanks