Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Does Roku Ultra or App control the data usage?

1. Cable provider is Xfinity.

2. Xfinity gateway connects to Roku Ultra Wirelessly, and Roku Ultra connects to 4K LG TV through HDMI cable (because video and audio needs to be fed into the home speaker system).

3. The GOAL: Is to reduce the data usage to stay within the Xfinity Data plan 

4. Question:

a. If the Roku ultra player is set at 720P (and the youtube video can display 240P through 1080P)

i. If the Youtube video is set to 240P, will I use less data?

ii. or, because Roku is set to 720P, all I'm doing is using the same data BUT suffering a lower quality video?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 19

Re: Does Roku Ultra or App control the data usage?

Your data usage will be determined by what is FED to the Roku, so your Your YouTube settings should prevail.

To minimize data usage be sure you return your Roku its Home screen when you've stopped viewing.  Otherwise your Roku can continue to stream in the background even though you've shut down your TV.

Also you can turn on the "Bandwidth saver" to shut down the Roku when it's received no user input in 4 hours (Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver)..

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos