Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justinhow
Level 7

Does Roku Streaming Stick+ support HLG?

I can't find much about whether the new Roku Streaming Stick+ supports HLG HDR (Hybrid Log Gamma).
The BBC news aricle here seems ot suggest it does Blue Planet II comes to iPlayer in 4K HDR but Roku don't seem to mention it themselves.
Quote "Close to 400 TV models and Roku's Streaming Stick+ 4K are included in the trial."
Can anyone confirm this?
0 Kudos
19 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Does Roku Streaming Stick+ support HLG?

To my knowledge, Roku only supports HDR10. Other variants, such as Dolby Vision or HLG, are not supported at this time. DV can be done in software, but there's a licensing cost and most likely only the most powerful Rokus would have enough power to do it in software. I don't know if HLG can be added without specific hardware. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

That's very odd then that the BBC specifically mentions the Roku Streaming Stick+ as supporting this HLG Trial (the only non TV device mentioned).
It is also specifically listed in the compatible list of devices here
"Roku     2017     3810EU"
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well, they may have posted inaccurate information, or it's possible the European version of the Roku does support HLG. Only they know for sure.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

From Roku online chat "If you use UK Roku streaming stick + the BBC iPlayer app will support HLG."
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Interesting. That makes it sound like HLG is enabled by the app itself, and not native to the player. But that means it should be simple for Roku to enable HLG across the board for their 4K players. 
Dan
0 Kudos
justinhow
Level 7

I agree. I guess the BBC is one of the first to actually trial HLG, which is pretty good for a broadcaster which historically has been fairly slow to move with the latest standards.
0 Kudos
Manni
Level 7

I bought a Roku Streaming Stick+ specifically to try to watch Blue Planet II on the iPlayer as it was listed in the the supported devices, and there is no way to get it to show anything in HDR/HLG from the iPlayer app. The stick is updated to the latest f/w. The display is configured to output 4K60 HDR (4:2:0, for some reason 4:2:2 doesn't seem to be possible) and I do get HDR from Netflix/Amazon, so that's not the issue. Connected to an HDCP 2.2 display with HDMI 2.0a 18Gb/s cables tested for full bandwidth.

If I don't find a way to get it to work, it's going back next week as I can already stream all I want from my Panasonic UB900, I just wanted to test HLG with the iPlayer.

I'm in the UK, if anyone has managed to get this to work please let me know how!
0 Kudos
fxv1
Level 7

There are two versions of the ROKU4, any of them capable of HDR and HLG
HTPC: Auros Gaming 5 32G DDR4 Silent Loop AIO W10PRO 32GRam CPU: RyZen 1700x GPU: Sapphire RX480 8G Monitor: LG 27MU67
AV: SONY STR-DN860 Speakers: QAcoustic 2020i and 2000Ci ARCAM irDAC-II ROKU4 TV: Samsung UE55KS9000 HW-J7500R soundbar Web: SoundsOKOK
0 Kudos
fxv1
Level 7

An owner of a SONY TV  posted this:[/font][/color]
My Roku 3810EU streams the UHD HLG streams from iPlayer. It doesn't flag the stream as HLG over HDMI, so I had to manually switch my Sony UHD HDR TV into HLG mode[/font][/color]

This is quite an interesting new development. My SAMSUNG KS9000 HDR1000 should be more than capable of HLG but SAMSUNG cannot be ar**ed to update the firmware as it is a 2016 model. Mind you I dont think they have updated any of the 2017 models as yet!! ....I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the ROKU 3810EU plugged into an HDR TV that does not have an HLG option (like the SONY TVs) in the menus if it would ever work in HDR ?
HTPC: Auros Gaming 5 32G DDR4 Silent Loop AIO W10PRO 32GRam CPU: RyZen 1700x GPU: Sapphire RX480 8G Monitor: LG 27MU67
AV: SONY STR-DN860 Speakers: QAcoustic 2020i and 2000Ci ARCAM irDAC-II ROKU4 TV: Samsung UE55KS9000 HW-J7500R soundbar Web: SoundsOKOK
0 Kudos