Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LdelaCruz

Does ROKU work on. Google TV?

I just bought a Google TV. I have a bundle with Disney and Hulu and ESPN. I’m trying to watch ESPN but it’s not allowing me. Is it because it’s through the Roku subscription? My previous TV I had a ROKU stick. Was I able to access that because it was a Roku and now because it’s Google I can’t?  

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Does ROKU work on. Google TV?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Google TV" (perhaps Android TV?), but as long as the TV has HDMI ports a Roku should work with it.

If you mean you bought a Google ChromeCast with Google TV, then you should be able to use the same credentials you use with your Roku Pay-based Disney Bundle subscription to login/authenticate the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN apps.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@LdelaCruz 

If you are saying you had a Roku on your previous TV, but have replaced that TV with built-in Google/Android TV (depending on the TV brand), then here's what's going on.

Your subscription through Roku Pay is only good on a Roku device. You will not be able to use that subscription on any non-Roku device. If you want to use that subscription on your new TV, you'll want to connect your Roku Stick to the new TV and watch through Roku.

If that's not the way you want to do it, cancel your subscription through Roku TV and subscribe directly. Use those credentials on any device, including Roku, to watch the content.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Danno777
Reel Rookie

Am I correct in assuming that Roku streaming stick plus will work the same on a new tv (like Sony) that is using the Google TV platform instead of Android TV?

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Danno777 wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that Roku streaming stick plus will work the same on a new tv (like Sony) that is using the Google TV platform instead of Android TV?

FYI, Google TV is either:

A) The discontinued (in 2014) Smart TV platform (succeeded by Android TV) or

B) The streaming service/app (formerly known as Google Play Movies & TV) or

C) The new UI for Android TV devices

You probably mean Android TV-based Sony TV (using the new Google TV UI) - there is no "new TV" using the discontinued Google TV platform.

And yes, the SS+ (or any Roku device) will work with an Android TV.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Danno777 

It does not matter what platform the TV is. If the TV has an HDMI port, you can put a Roku device on it.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

jarogers306
Reel Rookie

Can I get Roku on Google TV without having to use the Roku stick?

0 Kudos
renojim

@jarogers306, it depends on what you mean by "get Roku".  I don't know if The Roku Channel is available, but there's a big difference between The Roku Channel and an actual Roku device, so if you're asking if Roku channels/apps can be run on Google TV the answer is no.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
jarogers306
Reel Rookie

I was actually meaning the Roku Stick

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jarogers306

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please clarify your inquiry?

With more specific information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos