Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidMD
Channel Surfer

Do i need a roku 4k stick, if my new TV is 4k?

Hi, i just bought a 4k TV, is it necessary to buy a roku 4k stick? Will my existing one still provide 4k? thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Do i need a roku 4k stick, if my new TV is 4k?

While the TV is 4K, you will only see 4K content if you feed it a 4K signal. This means a Blu Ray player or media streamer (such as a Roku) must also be 4K. Your TV will upscale 1080 content, but to see true 4K material, your player must also be 4K. 

If you currently have a Roku player, check the model number and let us know what it is. We can tell you if it's 4K capable. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Sarge715
Binge Watcher

This answer really doesn't answer my specific question. My TV is 4K. A few movies are already projected in 4K. So, is a 4K Roku in any form necessary? Should I upgrade? 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Yes, you need a 4K source, and 4K equipment if you wish to view 4K material.  Opinions vary on the last question.  Some will say that 4K is irrelevant in typical home TV setups.  Others disagree.  Some people have Rokus connected to old SD TVs.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Some say that with any screen smaller than 65" 4K is not noticeable. I disagree. My two TVs used for the majority of our viewing are 55", and (depending on the content viewed) 4K is absolutely noticeable. I have a 40" 4K TV that I also use as my secondary work monitor when teleworking, and for both uses (computer and TV watching) 4K is noticeable as well. Of course, I'm sitting much closer to that TV. I have one additional 4K TV that's only 35", and that size certainly doesn't have the same benefits with 4K resolution, but it was so inexpensive it was a no-brainer to get it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Sarge715
Binge Watcher

I got the 4k stick and I noticed a big difference in the picture. 

0 Kudos