Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Do Screen Savers Use Internet Data

I'm using my Ultra as a whole house go between device.  Each TV has it's own streaming device.  If we're wanting to watch the same thing on multiple Tvs or we're wandering between Tvs the Ultra is distributed to all Tvs via a distribution network in the house.  It spends a lot of time just there in the background waiting to be used.  The fish tank is wonderful but if it is constantly using data from the internet it's not that wonderful.  Are the screen savers stored locally on the box or is it coming off the net?  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Do Screen Savers Use Internet Data

It depends on how the developer designed the app.  Anyway whatever data a screensaver grabs would be no where near the amount to watch a video.  A screensaver running 24 hours for a day would probably be about 1000X less data then streaming a single 5 minute video.

It literally would be a drop in the bucket so to speak.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm talking about the default fish tank.  Is that built into the box?  The problem with drops in the bucket is that they become bucket fulls eventually.  With data caps and planning to cut the cord and go to all streaming those drops start to count.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@hahniv wrote:

I'm talking about the default fish tank.  Is that built into the box?  The problem with drops in the bucket is that they become bucket fulls eventually.  With data caps and planning to cut the cord and go to all streaming those drops start to count.  

I've never monitored my Roku data use, but I'm reasonably comfortable saying the aquarium screensaver likely isn't downloading anything while in use. It's computer generated, not a video that is playing.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 12

It's really more like a drop in the ocean.  Seriously a single ad you watch on Roku would be more data then entire year of the data a screensaver would use.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos