Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ausrun
Channel Surfer

Re: Display not 4K on 4K TV

The statement of Netflix rules hasn't changed, but either the Roku firmware or the Netflix app has, in the last few months, to prevent 4k streaming.  I'm not particularly interested in who's responsible.  I'd love it if this got the problem fixed.  But more likely I'm just informing anyone else in my situation so they don't waste more time than necessary trying to fix the problem or better yet doesn't waste the money in the first place.  To those people, it is possible to find a relatively inexpensive and tiny PC that can get the job (4kUHD/Atmos) done.

0 Kudos
cnymike
Reel Rookie

Similar situation.

Roku Ultra LT automatically sets display to 1080p. When I select any 4k option, a message says that my TV or AVR does not support 4k.

Well my TV is definitely 4k (Samsung QN75QN85BDFXZA)

I'm running a Control4 system. The AV receiver is a Yamaha RX-V2700 which I don't know anything about since this system was installed in the house years ago and we only recently bought the house.

Not sure what to try at this point. I guess the receiver only supports 1080p since it is vintage 2007 equipment?

0 Kudos
ausrun
Channel Surfer

If you have the option of connecting the Roku directly to the TV and getting audio from an optical cable to the TV (can't tell for sure, but doubting that the receiver supports ARC), you should be able to get 4k.  You'll be stuck with DD sound (again can't tell for sure if the receiver decodes TrueHD, so maybe not losing anything).  Depends which matters most to you.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

You can find a copy of the manual here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/319839/RX-V2700_U.pdf 

A quick look shows it is only standard HD and DD/DTS. It does NOT support DD+, TrueHD, or DTS HD Master. Basically, it is too old for 4K. You may want to consider replacing it with something newer.

cnymike
Reel Rookie

Yes, shortly after posting I did locate the user guide for the receiver and discovered that it is not 4k.

The fact that I'm dealing with an inherited Control4 system that is over 12 years old with no documentation is not making it easy to figure out. I didn't buy a 75" TV to watch at 1080p. So it looks like a new receiver is in order. Any suggestions? I'm totally out of the loop.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Control4 is still a valid control system as far as I can tell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control4 

This is a forum for Home A/V distribution that you can ask questions about Control4:

https://www.avsforum.com/forums/home-a-v-distribution.36/ 

And another generally covering A/V receivers:

https://www.avsforum.com/forums/receivers-amps-and-processors.90/ 

0 Kudos
ausrun
Channel Surfer

If you can tolerate DD audio and the Roku was a new acquisition/present that you could trade in on a (4k) Roku stick, that's still the simplest route to 4k video to avoid tearing up your pea patch.  There are also HDMI audio extractors that would allow the video to bypass your receiver, and just have it handle the audio.  To get the idea, see 10 Best HDMI Audio Extractors of 2022 - Audiosolace . 

If you want to get the new receiver (or use an audio extractor), keep in mind that your HDMI cable(s) from the receiver to the TV may be limited to 1080p also.  Hopefully they're easy to replace.  For receiver choice, agree that avsforum is a good source of information.

0 Kudos
ausrun
Channel Surfer

FWIW, the 4k Stick Max made by [another manufacturer] seems to do a fine job of 4k/Atmos Netflix on 30Hz 4k TVs.  Anyone else who experienced Roku's feature removal might consider that alternative.

0 Kudos