Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShadyShawnn
Reel Rookie

Display not 4K on 4K TV

I recently bought a Roku Premiere for my 4K TV, when I go to display options it says it should be running at 4K 60hz but the picture quality doesnt look any different than 1080p leaving everything with this blurry look to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I bought this to get the most out of my TV.

17 REPLIES 17
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Display not 4K on 4K TV

What apps are you using? Not all support 4K, and even then, not all material is 4K. For some services, like Netflix, you have to pay extra for 4K access.

0 Kudos
ShadyShawnn
Reel Rookie

@andyross my Netflix account is able to stream in 4K but I just meant everything in general, regardless of what I use on the roku the quality looks really low

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

When you look at the Settings/Display menu in the Roku, what does it show for the resolution setting? If it's not displaying 4K/60, you could try setting it manually. It's also possible the HDMI cable isn't rated for 18 Gbps speed, which is what 4K/60 requires.

Are you connected through an AVR?

Also, many 4K TVs require a settings change in their menu to enable full 4K/60 operation. Samsung calls it UHD Color, and must be enabled on each HDMI input separately. Finally, not every 4K TV offers 4K/60 on every HDMI input. So you could check that as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
ShadyShawnn
Reel Rookie

When I'm in the display menu it auto detects 4k60 and even when I manually set it to manual 4k60 nothing changes, and I've tried using the HDMI wire that comes with the roku and the HDMI wire from my PS4pro and the port I've got that hooked into because I know that it works and still no change. I don't know what AVR means as I dont mess around with TVs very often but everything seems like it should be ready 4K so I dont understand why it wont work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ShadyShawnn wrote:

When I'm in the display menu it auto detects 4k60 and even when I manually set it to manual 4k60 nothing changes, and I've tried using the HDMI wire that comes with the roku and the HDMI wire from my PS4pro and the port I've got that hooked into because I know that it works and still no change. I don't know what AVR means as I dont mess around with TVs very often but everything seems like it should be ready 4K so I dont understand why it wont work.

Sorry, I should have spelled that out. AVR is audio-visual receiver. But if all your devices are connected directly to the TV, then you likely don't have an AVR, as everything would connect to it, and only it would connect to the TV.

Since your Roku is auto-detecting 4K/60, then that's what it should be sending out. Now the Roku user interface itself is just 1080, but they still look nice and sharp on my 4K TVs. As mentioned, not all content available is 4K, so you have to make sure what you're watching is really 4K. YouTube has an HDR Channel that offers some true 4K video, and for the most part provide a great test of your display. It's certainly possible there's something amiss with your TV settings, but I wouldn't know where to begin telling you what to check there. If you have a Samsung, I might be able to compare it to mine. 

Dan

0 Kudos
spf62

I have the same issue. My tv is 4k, my roku device is 4k. My tv is a smart tv and when I run Netflix from the tv I see 4k availability. When I run it from my roku I only get HD availability.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@spf62

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? Are you trying to play 4K content?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ausrun
Channel Surfer

Seems like y'all finally broke 4k permanently for Netflix on older TVs that only support 30Hz.  It used to be the case that we could force 4k HDR and it worked.  No longer.  I bought 2 of your streaming stick 4K's because you finally had a solution that did both Atmos and 4k (where Atmos for Netflix previously never worked on your products).  If you don't revert this to allow manual forcing of 4k HDR for Netflix, I'm done with your products.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ausrun 

Roku didn't break anything. Netflix is responsible for the way their channel functions. It's up to Netflix to ensure how their channel works with different resolutions and refresh rates. 

Dan

0 Kudos