Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickiep

3500x will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

I received an email saying that my ROKU will soon stop receiving updates. It said I have a 3500X, although I can't find the model # on my stick. They offered to upgrade my device to a ROKU Express for $14.99 or a ROKU Express 4K for $19.99. Just wondering if this is a scam

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3500x will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

@mickiep, it is not a scam.  You can see the model number of your Roku device displayed under Settings->System->About.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
fluke
Roku Guru

Re: 3500x will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

@mickiep wrote:

I received an email saying that my ROKU will soon stop receiving updates. It said I have a 3500X, although I can't find the model # on my stick. They offered to upgrade my device to a ROKU Express for $14.99 or a ROKU Express 4K for $19.99. Just wondering if this is a scam

If those are the only options they provided then you may want to pay the $5 more for the Express 4K even if you don't have a 4K TV.

The Roku Express comes with an IR remote.  You must position the Express to have line of sight with the remote.  Users that are used to the 3500x streaming *stick* hidden away from view might be in for a rude surprise if they try to hide the Roku Express with double sided tape behind the TV.  When hidden the remote won't work.

The Roku Express 4K does not have an issue being kept hidden away since similar to the 3500x it uses a wireless remote.

It is odd that Roku would not offer a Streaming Stick to replace an end of life Streaming Stick.  The model 3500x was replaced by the 3600x in 2016 so majority of 3500x users got over half a decade of device support/updates.  That is a nice long run for a budget priced streaming player.  But to stay consistent with the type of device being specified for replacement another streaming stick should have at least been offered.

0 Kudos
Txboyntn
Reel Rookie

Re: Discontinuing Roku Streaming Stick updates???????

Jump to solution

This is the exact reason I stopped buying roku.  Don't have that issue with FireTV, Chromcast or apple TV.  DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ANYMORE ON ROKU!!

0 Kudos