Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: It will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

One issue is also the chipsets used inside. The manufacturers may stop offering support and Roku cannot update for security or other potential issues. Also, app developers are demanding more and more features, and older devices either cannot do it, or would be too slow to be usable.

rcjay

Just learned my new roku streaming stick will not provide feature updates

Jump to solution

I just purchased a new streaming stick on 8/9 (at $39.95) and now I get an email saying my new device will not offer feature updates and I should consider upgrading (and paying for) a new device. What's up with that?!  I should be able to return it for the new one that is being offered.  What are my options?

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Just learned my new roku streaming stick will not provide feature updates

Jump to solution

@rcjay 

Only the Streaming Stick model 3500 is impacted by that email. (newer sticks not affected).

You can see your Roku model number from Settings/System/About.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Discontinuing-Roku-Streaming-Sti...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Gake
Channel Surfer

Re: It will soon stop receiving feature updates

Jump to solution

The email said it will still receive "critical" updates, which I presume has to do with security. This email specifically detailed it will not receive "feature" updates, such as updates to the channels I subscribed to. It is a direct attempt to force customers to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Gake
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info, but how does that address our issue? Obviously I have an older model that is why I got the email. But it still works fine, why should I be forced to update? Just so they can make more money? In a time where everyone is struggling financially?

0 Kudos
Gake
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

here is my reply to their customer service, though I doubt the guy replying in Bangladesh would understand half of it.

-----

The email specifically said it will still receive "critical" updates, I assume that means security patches, etc... it just won't receive "feature" updates, such as updates to our subscribed channels, etc... Don't BS me, I'm a retired hardware design engineer.

So why should my device which still works be required to upgrade just because you choose not to update future feature updates? Other than the fact you are trying to nickel and dime your customers? And during a 40 yr high inflation with a crippling recession? 

I want you to explain to me how as a customer should I respond to that? How am I a valued customer? Why should I continue business with your company? When there are many other stream devices out there? Why should I continue to freely advertise for your company to my friends and family?

You know the reason people use Roku is because they don't like Google or Apple which will give us a device with all the **bleep** features we don't want. We also do not like dealing with large companies b/c they're aholes and ahats. We expected better from Roku.

To be honest, had you done this last year, I wouldn't have minded. Stock market was up, inflation was under control, etc... **bleep**, I'd probably just upgrade to a newer model for the heck of it. And it is not that I can't afford the upgrade, I mean budget is tight, but your cheapest express model is still affordable. It is the fact, you KNOW the economy is sht and people are struggling and now you decided to do this and promoting it as some sort of favor for us?

You think I don't know? I told you I'm a retired engineer right here in the silicon valley. Your company is right down the street from me. We're in a recession, Roku is probably looking at layoffs. You cannot keep enough software engineers to maintain the updates for the older models. Had you just simply state that and be honest about it, we might be more sympathetic. Whoever made this decision and handling it should be fired immediately. Go watch some youtube interview with Warren Buffet or Carl Icahn and learn how to run a successful business. It all comes down to how you treat your customers. Show some fking respect.

0 Kudos
Gake
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

" Along with a stick-like design, Dolby Vision HDR is the main difference between the Streaming Stick 4K and the Express 4K Plus, and is ostensibly why the Streaming Stick 4K is more expensive than its sibling."

This is exactly what I'm talking about. So you want to add "Dolby Vision HDR," which would affect ... what? 5-10% of your customer base, to your 4k streaming stick and then forced everyone to pay more and upgrade for features they don't need or want. Who... who is running your upper management?

AT&T, voted once the worst company in the USA, just recently made me an upgrade offer which reduced by monthly bill by $20, increase my speed from 8 MBPS to 300 MBPS, and my data cap from 1 TB to unlimited b/c more people are indoor due to the pandemic. By doing so, retained my business from being stolen by Comcast and other competitors. See, even they know how to keep their customers.

You are doing the opposite. Making me pay more for things I don't need or want with money I don't have. Ridiculous.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Discontinuing Roku Streaming Stick updates???????

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Customers who purchased a Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3500X), Roku 1 (Model 2710X), Roku 2 (Model 2720X) or Roku LT (Model 2700X) would have received this email. These players will continue to stream and receive critical updates, but will no longer get new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates.

Other Roku player models not mentioned above will continue to receive all software updates.

To see your Roku model number, check the side of your device, or navigate to Home > Settings > System > About.

Thanks!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Gake wrote:

Thanks for the info, but how does that address our issue? Obviously I have an older model that is why I got the email. But it still works fine, why should I be forced to update? Just so they can make more money? In a time where everyone is struggling financially?

Hey there! Your device will still stream, you just won't see new features that may be hardware-dependent and require newer hardware to run. 

-Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
mec12

Re: Discontinuing Roku Streaming Stick updates???????

Jump to solution

I have the 3801X model and received the email that upgrades were being discontinued. I don't have an older models linked to my account so why would I received the email if my model isn't affected?

0 Kudos