Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmsumulong
Binge Watcher

Disable auto updates in Roku

I know autoupdates are the ideal setting but autoupdates seems to turn on my Epson LS500 projector at dawn. With that in mind, I do not mind updating manually every so often. Is there a way to do this including using the secret menus? I've seen a remedy in YouTube by change the update server using a secret menu. But this seems no longer an option in my Roku Ultra 2020 ver. 10. Any suggestions? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Disable auto updates in Roku

Manually updating should reset the auto-update time/timer - try manually checking before you go to bed/shut down for the evening.

Most updates (firmware and apps) become available between 12 PM and 3PM ET, though there is a late update window around 6PM ET (usually for Roku apps like RMP), and rarely at midnight.

If you already changed the update server from beta to retail theres nothing more you can do (it wont change back without a factory reset).

0 Kudos
mmsumulong
Binge Watcher

I did that before and it's a no go. The automatic restarts may also have to do with with my soundbar. Meanwhile disabled CEC power on on my projector. No biggie in turning on the projectore manually. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

It sure would be (advanced) user-friendly if they allowed some granular control over the auto-updating, such as update windows or setting the update time/interval, but like other "modern" OS implementations direct user-control over the auto-update process has been reduced - not enhanced.

(they could even restrict/limit unknowing/accidental changing of the setting(s) by requiring the entry of a random code/registered PIN, as they do for factory reset/guest mode etc)

If the soundbar is causing the automatic restarts its probably an HDMI handshaking/EDID issue (Roku certainly has plenty of those), and the specifics are often hard to diagnose - in this case the unidirectional CEC implementation in Roku devices is helpful, since you know it isnt responding to a rogue CEC command sent to it from elsewhere (though, it could be sending one itself...).