Difference between older gen updated to 9.4 Ultras and 2020 Ultras?
Will someone explain the difference ( in laymans speak not engineering speak) between the 2020 Ultras and older gen Ultras that have been updated to the 9.4 OS. Just would like to know if I need to do the "Roku room shuffle" with the latest and greatest Roku to date.
TCL RokuTV 5 Series Roku Ultra 4 Roku 3 Roku 3 Hisense RokuTV
Re: Difference between older gen updated to 9.4 Ultras and 2020 Ultras?
The 4800 (2020 Ultra) supports:
1) Dolby Vision and "Always on HDR"* (*if you want this, most dont want/need it)
2) Dolby Atmos decoding (means Atmos in NetFlix - all other previous models dont have this)
3) Dolby audio transcoding (e.g. means converting DD+ to DD so you can get 5.1 output on older DD-only equipment) - only the 4640 (Ultra 2016) could do this previously (most dont want/need this, some do)
4) Dolby AC4 codec support (future proofing; streaming and NextGen broadcast services will likely use this increasingly)
5) AV1 codec support (future proofing; streaming services will likely use this increasingly)
6) Bluetooth audio streaming support (from device to Roku)
7) USB 3.0
8) Purchase Pride & Emotional Support Services (so you know you have the ultimate Ultra and feel really good about it..ok..a little levity here)
There's no way to know what features and functions you may want/need (you haven't stated), and if you just want the "latest and greatest" none of this matters (you'd just buy it anyway).