Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SNIBBYSMOM
Reel Rookie

Device options and differences

Jump to solution

We would like to purchase a Roku for my folks. They are not technically gifted so it needs to be simple. I do not understand the difference between the stick - a tiny device that simply hides behind the TV and the box. I see some features like the remote finder, etc but I just do not know why I would pay $130 for a box or $50 for a stick when they do pretty much the same thing. Price is not an issue per se, but I dont want to waste money on something more they don't need. But I dont really know what the "more" is. Also, Amazon has a whole whack of models but Roku.com only has 4. Are the models on Amazon discontinued? 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Device options and differences

Jump to solution

Be a bit careful on Amazon, as some models you see could be older. Roku may also only highlight the newest models that they have in stock.

The stick models can be OK, but you MUST use the Roku remote as it's RF-based since the stick is hiding behind the TV. The box Roku's can use the RF remote, but will work with a plain IR remote, so you can use a 3rd party remote if you want.

For general usability, they are all about the same. The main differences are a mixture of speed and features like 4K and audio.

If you are willing to spend the money, go with the Roku Ultra 4800. I have one and it is obscenely fast. It also supports wired Ethernet which can be more reliable than WiFi, and a USB port which you can use to display pictures, play music, or video.

View solution in original post

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Cheaper "box" models like express, premiere, LE likely to be good enough, only issue is cheaper models don't come with Voice Remote (probably a good thing for older first timers, IR remote can be more reliable), and only support 2.4ghz WiFi (some ISP now disable 2.4ghz, may also be unavailable in a senior living facility).

TV with built in Roku is an expensive but simple option, although switching from live to Roku may confuse.

Wikipedia page lists the model numbers and generations to understand age of device. Ignore the last letters on model number

Not a Roku employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Be a bit careful on Amazon, as some models you see could be older. Roku may also only highlight the newest models that they have in stock.

The stick models can be OK, but you MUST use the Roku remote as it's RF-based since the stick is hiding behind the TV. The box Roku's can use the RF remote, but will work with a plain IR remote, so you can use a 3rd party remote if you want.

For general usability, they are all about the same. The main differences are a mixture of speed and features like 4K and audio.

If you are willing to spend the money, go with the Roku Ultra 4800. I have one and it is obscenely fast. It also supports wired Ethernet which can be more reliable than WiFi, and a USB port which you can use to display pictures, play music, or video.

SNIBBYSMOM
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you AndyRoss.  I appreciate that insight.  I tried to find a ultra 4800 but all that is coming up is Ultra 2020.  Perhaps this is the same thing?  Also - it's not featured on the Roku site.  In fact, all their products are under $50 (except the audio streambar), which doesn't make any sense to me!
I found the Ultra on Amazon.  Should I jump on this?  The beauty of Amazon is the ability to get refunds or returns on visa claims when things are not as they should be.  🙂
https://www.amazon.ca/Roku-Streaming-Bluetooth-Headphone-Shortcuts/dp/B08G9TJWW9

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes. That is the 4800. If you scroll down to the product details, you can see that it is model 4800R. The R just means 'retail'.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I was going to give you a link, but then I noticed the .ca

Based on the Canadian version of the Roku site, it appears that Roku us not selling the Ultra in Canada (yet?) and one of Amazon's partners is selling that one.  I had one (admittedly just one) bad experience with an Amazon partner so I typically stick to shipped and sold by amazon, myself.

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Cheaper "box" models like express, premiere, LE likely to be good enough, only issue is cheaper models don't come with Voice Remote (probably a good thing for older first timers, IR remote can be more reliable), and only support 2.4ghz WiFi (some ISP now disable 2.4ghz, may also be unavailable in a senior living facility).

TV with built in Roku is an expensive but simple option, although switching from live to Roku may confuse.

Wikipedia page lists the model numbers and generations to understand age of device. Ignore the last letters on model number

Not a Roku employee