Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ex-IBM
Reel Rookie

Dead Streamer

My Streamer died after about a month.  Is Roku standing behind these devices or are they just a "throw away"?  I only paid $29 but still it should last more than a month.

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Dead Streamer

Roku says a year:

https://support.roku.com/article/208757158#:~:text=Roku%20warrants%20the%20player%20hardware%20again....

However, at "about a month" it might be quicker to exchange it with the retailer,if you didn't buy it direct and if their return policy is long enough.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

If you purchased it from Roku directly, then 30day returns for credit, after that, usually just a replacement of the device.  If you bought if from a store or elsewhere, normally you have to return it there for refund.  Otherwise, warranty replacement.

https://support.roku.com/category/115001360548   scroll to bottom for warranty and returns info.

And you are sure it is dead dead?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Ex-IBM
Reel Rookie

Bought it on sale at Dollar General.  They had a case of them.  No return possible.  The remote works fine but the streamer is just DOA.  Thanks for the idea...

0 Kudos
Ex-IBM
Reel Rookie

Please see my post above.

I have tried everything.  Unless there there is a magic button somewhere that I missed, it's DOA. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Ex-IBM wrote:

Unless there there is a magic button somewhere that I missed, it's DOA. 

The only magic button is the Factory Reset button on the Express.  I think it is a pinhole on back of unit you use with paperclip, press and hold for 30sec+ 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

Short of Factory Reset and using another power supply cord or adapter and plugging directly into the wall, likely the only way to resurrect it.  Haven't had any significant problems with the various Rokus I have, but other users get a problem device on day 1.   Luck of the draw sometimes with electronics.

Since you can't return it, maybe try the new cord and factory reset.  Can't hurt.  Good luck.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

I'm curious what model # these are since they were sold "as is" no return.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Right. Knowing what model Roku you have can help us help you. But as long as you can provide Roku with a proof of purchase within a year, and as long as someone didn't dump a 5 year old Roku on you, they will likely offer a warranty replacement. 

As an FYI: my oldest Roku that still works is almost 10 years old. I don't use it anymore because it's too underpowered for most of the newest channels. But it does still work. I don't consider them throwaway unless they have truly died. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Ex-IBM
Reel Rookie

Y'all are really helpful.  I would have taken it back if...  1 - I had the receipt.  2 - They had any more.  Alas, I do not have a receipt and they never got any additional stock. 

Its a Model:3932X   In the final analysis I probably paid too much for it.  I have tried three power supplies as well as the USB port on my laptop also punched the "magic hidden button" both under power and not.  There is nothing quite like a dead Roku Streamer.  It's too light to use as a paperweight and too small to pitch at the dog.  And I am hear to tell you that dead is dead - no sound no lights, not even a sssssit!

I have a Roku 3 on the main television and Roku is offering an Ultra for $79.  Other than not having a SD port the Ultra is good for the bedroom TV.

Thanks to all...

atc98092

Interesting. I can't find a model 3932. There is a 3931, the Express+. This is the current model, not some old stock. 

To use the hard reset button (the hidden one), you have to hold it in for a minimum of 30 seconds. Even one second less it's not a hard reset. So you might try that again.

It's no big loss that Roku doesn't have an SD card slot on the Ultra any more. The card is only used for channel storage. It doesn't do anything to improve the Ultra performance, and you can't play media from it. The new 4800 Ultra has 4 GB of channel storage, double any previous model, so channel storage space shouldn't be an issue.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos