Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RadioClash
Level 7

DVR for Roku?

Looking to record some things that I stream through my Roku.  Does such a device exist?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: DVR for Roku?

Streaming services usually discourage recording, especially since you're free to stream included titles over and over. Streaming is a rental service, usually..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
RadioClash
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Streaming services usually discourage recording, especially since you're free to stream included titles over and over. Streaming is a rental service, usually..

How does a service like PlayOn get around this?  
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Depending on your location, and the stream in question, it might not be legal to record such a stream. HDMI includes a security level known as HDCP. Circumventing that protection is illegal in some locations. I have no idea how PlayOn gets away with what they offer, but they've been doing it long enough it makes me think they either have a legal loophole or their company is located somewhere that allows them to get away with breaking copyright protection. 
Yes, that device on Amazon appears to do what you are looking for. Again, depending on your location it may not be legal to do so. I record OTA TV broadcasts using my Windows Media Server, which was declared legal to do in the US decades ago, but it has no ability to record from web services. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

It sounds like Playon mainly records OTA stuff and anything not OTA can't be viewed until it's no longer on whatever streaming service it was taken from.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"ghb51" wrote:
It sounds like Playon mainly records OTA stuff and anything not OTA can't be viewed until it's no longer on whatever streaming service it was taken from.

Not what they claim on their website:
Record and download streaming movies and shows from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, The CW and more.

And this:
Record and download streaming videos as .MP4 files. No expiration date on downloads.

How they do it legally, I have no idea. Found this web site that offers a breakdown of the legal position that PlayOn takes. Basically they are claiming they are the same as TiVo, as in just being a time-shifter. They argue that they are just a DVR for subscribed content, and DVRs have already been declared legal. Apparently no company has challenged them on it, at least none have prevailed. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RadioClash
Level 7

They go a step further with their PlayOn Cloud.  They will record content and store it on their servers for you to download at your convenience.  Apparently once you have downloaded from their cloud it is then yours to keep.  As Dan points out though, unlikely that it is legally yours to keep.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

Well, from that site it looks like they argue it's fair use since you already paid to see the content and that does make sense, that plus embedding personal info in the file to keep people from uploading it I guess is enough to pass muster with the courts.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"ghb51" wrote:
Well, from that site it looks like they argue it's fair use since you already paid to see the content and that does make sense, that plus embedding personal info in the file to keep people from uploading it I guess is enough to pass muster with the courts.

Yeah, it seems they are tiptoeing the ragged legal edge. But I have to say it would be nice to download a lot of the stuff I watch multiple times. Since I already have a media server, it's simple to make it available on my network. 
Dan
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
Yeah, it seems they are tiptoeing the ragged legal edge. But I have to say it would be nice to download a lot of the stuff I watch multiple times. Since I already have a media server, it's simple to make it available on my network. 

Due to the high (and growing ever higher) cost of 'Pay TV' millions world wide are already 'downloading', Uh...  everything.
Copy Once?
(yea, not in this neighborhood)

What Big Cable is doing, in essence, is like opening a window on one side of the building and bottling the air there, then selling it out a window on the other side of the building on a world where you have to buy their air - with the full support of Big Government. There are 'options' for those that find that arrangement 'odd'.
0 Kudos