Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
v0rtex
Reel Rookie

Re: Custom screensaver missing

Jump to solution

So, does Roku support not even monitor these forums?  This issue is 3 weeks old, and I do not see one official response in this thread.  I have a Roku TV, and two other Roku devices on my other two TVs, and the screensaver is gone from all three.  It's a pity - this was a great feature.  My hobby is photography and my screensaver was filled with my own work.  I loved it!

Roku TV

Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  (x2)

Ritz

Re: Mobile screensaver/custom screensaver

Jump to solution

I like all of you use the custom photo screensaver and liked it a LOT.  The removal for whatever reason is a deal breaker for me and will look at other device solutions.  Ther are 945 lame screensaver options and the best one is removed.  Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) 

Tags (1)
Yeldarb10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I gave support everything they wanted. No response back since sept 30th. It seems intentional. Not surprised, since they already force ad themes onto us.

pmtelev

Jump to solution

Don't let this go guys. Absolutely unacceptable. This is basically the only thing I use the TV in my room for. Bring back custom screensavers. There is no good reason that it is missing

Yeldarb10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Imo just let it go and get a fire stick. I have a roku tv and now I’m just using my fire stick with it.

It was clearly intentional at this point. I’m sure some suits up top though that removing custom screensavers would encourage people to buy screensavers or something backwards like that. No amount of screaming and protesting will do anything.

Protest with your wallet. They’ll only notice when the quarterly analytics come in, and theres a drop in users and or increased use of competing devices.

CW48
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah it sucks to admit but you're definitely right. There has been three updates to the app since this feature was removed, and they've actually made the app work worse. Yet another example of either corporate greed or fixing something that wasn't broken and in the process breaking it. Fire Stick it is.

0 Kudos
mamalee

Jump to solution

I spoke with someone in customer service. They were off no help. They said they'd forward it to the customer care team. Whatever! I think it's just gone. 

v0rtex
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix custom screensaver option that disappeared

Jump to solution

This may not be an ideal solution but I'm dropping in to share this with everyone who's complained of the missing screensaver function (as I have).  I had decided to just give up on Roku fixing this and go create my own (the myriad of available screensavers are developed by 3rd party folks using Roku development platform, which it turns out is fairly robust).  I mean, I'm a software engineer by trade and a photographer in my spare time, so I got started and have been working on my own for about two weeks now.

ANYWAY... while researching how to make part of this code work, I found a user who has made and published a brilliant screensaver.  It allows you to link the screensaver to your Google Photos account (or to many of them if you wish), and it will display your photos as your screensaver.  He has put plenty of user-friendly options in it, too!

Go here to find it and add it to your Roku account:
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/637cbf48183a52820a32e8a7a8ff865a/photoview-for-google-photos

Like I said - it doesn't fix the OP's problem, but it's a pretty good alternative!

FLC

Jump to solution

Thank you for this info! Smiley Very Happy

CW48
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This really works! I now have my custom screensaver back! Thank you google(No thanks to Roku, you best believe they won't be getting another dime from me). It requires a little bit of toying with settings to get everything just right but anybody whos even halfway knowledgeable about basic tech can figure it out in like 10 minutes. If snapchat and Instagram don't confuse you this Google Photo's Fix won't either.