Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stefsailor
Channel Surfer

Current program not running in backround with sound when looking at channel line up.

Hi-

I had a Roku Express for 3-4 years. It suddenly stopped working (would not connect, but I was connected). After trying everything, and another Roku was working fine in another room, I went and picked up a new Roku. Installed and it connects perfectly. Everything works as it did before, however, when I hit the down arrow to see what else may be on, the screen loses what I was watching. On the previous unit and the unit in another room, the program sound remains active, and the program is also on in the backround, and you can see it somewhat. Was great during commercial breaks because you would know when your show was back on. This is still working in the other unit in the other room. I have looked at all the preferences in settings, I cannot find anything for this.

I do use DirectTVstream. I am unsure if it's an issue with them, or the Roku. Totally stumped. Maybe there's something wrong with the new unit?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Current program not running in backround with sound when looking at channel line up.

Hello @Stefsailor

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on DirectTV stream or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Stefsailor
Channel Surfer

Re: Current program not running in backround with sound when looking at channel line up.

So you are suggesting remove the DirectTv app on the menu, shut down entire system, restart, and add the app back?

I would have thought it's specific to this unit as it does work on the other TV. If  remove the app I believe it comes off of both TV's.

I am unsure if it does it in any other stream. Basically DirectTV has everything I watch, although they are becoming the most expensive, and getting right up there with cable.

0 Kudos
Stefsailor
Channel Surfer

I removed the DirectTv stream app. Shut down all power. Started Roku and installed DirectTV stream app. Nothing has changed. This DID NOT fix the issue.

Is "playback" when you can still see the show you are watching, sound is 100%, while you are searching the guide to see what else is on?

This is still working on my Roku in another room. Still works perfectly. Cannot get new Roku to do the same.

0 Kudos
Stefsailor
Channel Surfer

Is the new Roku defective?

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Stefsailor  So your issue is with DirecTV Stream correct? Then reach out to them. This has nothing to do with Roku. Are all your Roku’s running the same version of DirecTV Stream? Roku doesn’t control how the channel works. 

0 Kudos
Stefsailor
Channel Surfer

I would say yes, same version as I removed the app, shutdown, then powered up and re-installed DirectTV stream app. No difference.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Stefsailor  Highlight the DirecTV Stream channel on your Roku. Then press the * button. It will tell you the version number. You can compare each Roku. But this isn’t a Roku issue 

0 Kudos
Stefsailor
Channel Surfer

Both the same version and build. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Stefsailor  I use to use AT&T TV which is now DirecTV Stream. There was always bugs with it. Especially the sound glitch they refuse to address. I switched to YouTube TV. It’s cheaper and far superior 

0 Kudos