Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmberI
Reel Rookie

Create Multiple Roku Profiles on Account?

Jump to solution

Is there a way to create multiple profiles on a single Roku account (similar to Netflix or Disney) My kids are complaining that when one watches a show on their Roku TV, it advances the same show on the other Roku TV and they lose the episode they had stopped at.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Create Multiple Roku Profiles on Account?

Jump to solution

@AmberI wrote:

... It sounds like the only way to bypass this issue is to create a separate account for each TV. Is that understanding correct?

That is exactly right. And, yes, profiles would seem to be able to resolve that.

I hope Roku adds profiles in an upcoming update. They often announce some features in the summer, and roll them out (or start the months-long rollout) around October, but there's no official public schedule; it's just how they usually do it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@AmberI 

No. Roku does not currently have that capability for the device. The apps, as you mentioned, can have that.

Do not read that to mean it's coming. I don't have any knowledge about that. Of the Big Four platforms (Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Android/Google TV) two have profiles and two do not. The other that doesn't has announced it as "coming soon." It may have already arrived there, but I don't know, as I've not looked into it deeply.

Profiles may or may not resolve what you're after. It depends on the app you're using.

If you're using Netflix, then you have profiles within the app, and can already avoid that. So, I'm assuming you're using something other than Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, or some other app with profiles. I'm assuming the app can't handle what you're after via profiles.

If the service does not have profiles, then, it comes down to if it's a subscription service. Let me give an example.

Suppose you have the (making up a name) AmberFlix app. It doesn't have profiles, but it's a subscription service. You log in on your Roku. Now, imagine you share it with me. I have a totally different Roku account. What's on my Roku has no impact to what's on your Roku. They're totally separate. But you and I are friends, and are sharing accounts. I log in to AmberFlix using your AmberFlix account. If I watch a TV show, it advances on both my Roku and on your Roku. And on the AmberFlix app on your phone. And on my tablet. And on the FireTV app in the spare room. And on the Apple TV in the other guest room.

So, in many cases, profiles won't accomplish what you're after. But I've not covered every case. If it was RokuTV, for example, and there were profiles, then yes, it could accomplish that.

What is the app/service in particular where profiles might help? What is the situation you're running into?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AmberI
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. We have separate profiles across the various subscription streaming services for those, this is particularly relating to the Roku channels that come with the Roku service. It sounds like the only way to bypass this issue is to create a separate account for each TV. Is that understanding correct?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@AmberI wrote:

... It sounds like the only way to bypass this issue is to create a separate account for each TV. Is that understanding correct?

That is exactly right. And, yes, profiles would seem to be able to resolve that.

I hope Roku adds profiles in an upcoming update. They often announce some features in the summer, and roll them out (or start the months-long rollout) around October, but there's no official public schedule; it's just how they usually do it.

DBDukes

AmberI
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It would be a great feature for them to add. Thank you so much for your time in responding to me!

Muddstream
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My issue is with an older person. The number of pre-installed apps are confusing for someone who simply wants to watch channel 'X'. Say for example, they want to watch 'the view' on ABC. There is the ABC app and then Xfinity. If they use ABC they are only watching what was available via stream vs using Xfinity to watch the local ABC affiliate channel. If I could create a simple profile that only had Xfinity it would really help to avoid her getting confused and frustrated.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Muddstream  Streaming and cable are entirely different. For your situation a cable box is a better idea. Or use something like YouTube TV. My mother is 82. I bought her a TCL Roku TV. She uses YouTube TV to watch her live TV. I put the YouTube TV channel on the top left of the top row. I also bought her a voice remote. Also she has to do is say “Hey Roku launch YouTube TV” and presto

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Muddstream 

Until Roku adds profiles -- if they do -- a possible help might be to put the most-used app or apps at the very top.

Starting from the Home position on the main menu, pressing OK takes the user from the menu on the left to the first position on the menu. Put the desired app there, and they're there with one key press.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

I am not the original poster but I want to NOT have the same channels across every Roku in the house. I have channels that no one else would be interested in on the Roku in my office so they just become something to clutter navigating the Roku in the kitchen or living room. I am the only one who's really interested in The Week in Tech and some other technical/scientific channels. So I'd like to simplify channel selection outside of my office. I've read about having multiple Roku accounts as a possible solution. Any ideas on the best way to do that?

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@JackOfAllTech 

All Roku devices tied to the same Roku account will have the same apps.

So, if you have a different Roku account for one set of devices (a set can be one device) and another Roku account for a different set of devices, then you can accomplish this.

Think about this: why do you and I have different apps on our Roku devices? We're using different Roku accounts. You can do the same thing with devices in your location.

They would be separate, to be sure. But, if you subscribed directly to services (not via Roku Pay or within Roku Channel) you could use the same credentials on apps on the different devices. Both the device on the family account could sign in to the same Netflix account as your personal account. But no sharing across Roku Pay subscriptions.

DBDukes

0 Kudos