Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weamish
Level 7

Content search - not on Roku yet?

Often get the response "Not on Roku yet" when searching for programs. Many of these programs turn out to be on Netflix or Amazon (the last one I tried was Hinterland, which is on Netflix). Any idea why Roku isn't coming up with these programs? Thanks!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Search - not on Roku yet?

Netflix isn't included in the search results by their own request. Don't know about Amazon.

-JT
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
Netflix isn't included in the search results by their own request. Don't know about Amazon.

-JT

I do not think that is so. At least "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," Seasons 1,2 and 3 of "Arrow" and all episodes of "House of Cards" all return results that include "Netflix"

Amazon is also included in many search returns.

However I do notice that many movies that I am pretty sure are on Netflix or Amazon do not say so under Roku's search. I think, like many other things Roku has done lately, the search is flawed or incomplete. I do not use the search on Roku for anything as I don't really trust Roku to find content for me.

If I need to find a particular show or movie I use: http://www.canistream.it/ as it is mostly more reliable.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
... I think, like many other things Roku has done lately, the search is flawed or incomplete. ...

renojim addressed this.
"renojim" wrote:
Netflix isn't included in the search results by their own request.

Roku answered a query about this a while back. Can't find it, but, like Jim, that's the reason I picked up from something a Roku rep posted here some time back.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
... I think, like many other things Roku has done lately, the search is flawed or incomplete. ...

renojim addressed this.
"renojim" wrote:
Netflix isn't included in the search results by their own request.

Roku answered a query about this a while back. Can't find it, but, like Jim, that's the reason I picked up from something a Roku rep posted here some time back.

Then why, if Netflix is not included, does Netflix return as a result in some searches like I posted earlier. If Netflix is returned in the results for some content then "Netflix is not included in the results" is clearly wrong. It cannot be both "included" and "not included." The Roku rep was clearly either wrong or just making stuff up to cover the flaws.

I believe that the post that is being referred to was simply a mistake and the search itself is flawed.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

I just did a bunch of Roku Searches on my Roku 3; it definitely returns results for Netflix. What's more, if you clear your search result history (an option at the bottom of the list) it will display a list of services which will be searched, 5 at a time, rotating through them. Netflix appears in that list. (A lot of kind of obscure--to me--stuff on that list now. Tribeca Short List? tubitv? Met Opera On Demand? I guess it doesn't hurt :mrgreenSmiley Happy.

"weamish" wrote:
Often get the response "Not on Roku yet" when searching for programs. Many of these programs turn out to be on Netflix or Amazon (the last one I tried was Hinterland, which is on Netflix). Any idea why Roku isn't coming up with these programs? Thanks!

Three items entitled Hinterland show up in a Roku Search for me, including a British television series and movies from 1998 and 2014. The television series shows as being available from Netflix but neither movie is available from any service. I checked and the television series is the only title on Netflix by that name. I didn't check any other services to see if they had the movies.

Do you have another example?
0 Kudos
vnazario
Level 8

Hello:

I'm sure Netflix is included on the search results. But like any database, results of search queries are only as good as the database is updated with content. Human error or oversight are the usual suspects but again the queries will return results based on keywords used and information available.

What I would like to see is Youtube results included in the search function. TiVo does this so I would like to see Roku have this as well.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Maybe some are getting search mixed up with my feed, which Netflix titles aren't included.
0 Kudos
mtasmam2k
Level 7

Just to clarify, Netflix is included in the search function. Netflix, by their request, is not included in the "My Feed" function. I can see where the two get mixed up.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"mtasmam2k" wrote:
Just to clarify, Netflix is included in the search function. Netflix, by their request, is not included in the "My Feed" function. I can see where the two get mixed up.

Thank you for that clarification.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos