Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danieleliberger
Level 7

Connecting separate audio source to Smart Soundbar optical input?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

I'm hoping to connect a Smart Soundbar to a monitor via (non-ARC) HDMI so that the streaming picture displays on the monitor and the streaming sound plays on the Soundbar.  I would also like to connect a separate audio device to the Soundbar via its optical input to listen to music when not streaming content.  Can this be done?

PS- I know that the Soundbar supports Bluetooth for music, but based on my overall set up I need an optical connection.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Connecting separate audio source to Smart Soundbar optical input?

The only issue I see with such a setup is that many devices treat ARC and Optical as a single input or output (you cant individually select ARC vs Optical), so youd probably want to make sure the TV is off/not outputting audio when using the device connected to the Optical (unless of course you want that).  

I haven't used the Smart Soundbar so I can't say for sure that it works that way, but I'd bet it does.

Otherwise, it should work for your intended usage scenario.

0 Kudos