Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting separate audio source to Smart Soundbar optical input?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

I'm hoping to connect a Smart Soundbar to a monitor via (non-ARC) HDMI so that the streaming picture displays on the monitor and the streaming sound plays on the Soundbar.  I would also like to connect a separate audio device to the Soundbar via its optical input to listen to music when not streaming content.  Can this be done?

PS- I know that the Soundbar supports Bluetooth for music, but based on my overall set up I need an optical connection.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Connecting separate audio source to Smart Soundbar optical input?

The only issue I see with such a setup is that many devices treat ARC and Optical as a single input or output (you cant individually select ARC vs Optical), so youd probably want to make sure the TV is off/not outputting audio when using the device connected to the Optical (unless of course you want that).  

I haven't used the Smart Soundbar so I can't say for sure that it works that way, but I'd bet it does.

Otherwise, it should work for your intended usage scenario.

0 Kudos