Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sewwfast

Connect streaming stick + to USB PORT?

I have a digital converter box. It only has a usb port. Can i connect the stick to the usb port with an adaptor?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
okaussie3
Roku Guru

Re: Connect streaming stick + to USB PORT?

The streaming stick + does have a USB connector.  The problem is, it is only for power to drive the Stick.  Not to interface the Stick to the device.

It has the HDMI connector which is used for the interface.  Sorry..

0 Kudos
2pints
Roku Guru

What inputs does your TV have? if it doesnt have HDMI, the it could be time for a new TV

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Where other roku sticks can be powered by usb port on a tv, the stick+ is recommended to be powered from the wall outlet. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Roku Guru

I have two sticks and have both of them plugged into the USB port.  No problems at all.

Really the only reason I would see using the wall outlet with the cube for power would be, if the TV does have enough power coming out of the USB port to drive the ROKU.

That's why the ROKU has the extremely short USB cable.

The only time I would use the cube and the wall outlet is if i were having weird problems with the Roku, it shutting down, other bizarre issues while the TV is on.

As I stated in an earlier post, the USB cable is only for power and the HDMI connector is only for the interface.

As the previous poster suggests, maybe it is time to upgrade your TV..

Bill

0 Kudos
JCLord
Reel Rookie

I guess The person who asked the question did NOT specify as to why his question.... & his why is.....He WANTS to be able to connect OTHER USB devices to HIS ROKU MODEL >>> Stick+.

My thinking is...since the STICK+ does NOT have the capabilities [ THAT WE all know of at least ]....to connect ANY OTHER Data related USB Devices.........The USB port it has drives ONLY Power, NOT Data.....so, my question then & also thinking is.......

Is there such a adapter or connector or USB Hub, that Has BOTH [ DATA & Also POWER USB connectors in it ]   ???......if YES....then problem solved.....but I am not sure if there is 1.....searching tho......if anybody knows, please post here.

JC.

0 Kudos
whispercrafts
Reel Rookie

Did you find one?  I was kind of wondering if there is such a thing as a bidirectional hdmi to usb adapter to run a roku stick through so I could use roku on my computer.  I have a large screen all in one and it seems to only have a one-way hdmi connector...

0 Kudos

It's a lot less expensive to get this 4k+ than a new TV...  Too bad they don't make the USB stick capable of using the lower power TV USB ports but the external power adaptor solves that problem nicely and for only $75.00!

0 Kudos