Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javtorrez
Level 7

Connect external USB to Roku Express

Hello,
I recently bought a Roku Express for a relative, but we can't seem to figure out how to connect an external USB to the Roku Express. After connecting the Roku to an external USB hub, we concluded that the TV itself is not capable of reading from a USB stick. However, given that the Roku can read from an external USB, I'm wondering if connecting the USB stick to the Roku using a USB splitter will work. Has anyone tried this? Since the Roku must be connected to a power source at all times, would it be a problem to have it connected to a power source and a USB stick to read from at the same time? In other words, is a Roku Express capable of charging and reading from the USB at the same time? 

I appreciate all the help in advance! Hoping I can get some advice before continuing to buy more cables. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Basil
Level 10

Re: Connect external USB to Roku Express

"javtorrez" wrote:
Hello,
I recently bought a Roku Express for a relative, but we can't seem to figure out how to connect an external USB to the Roku Express. After connecting the Roku to an external USB hub, we concluded that the TV itself is not capable of reading from a USB stick. However, given that the Roku can read from an external USB, I'm wondering if connecting the USB stick to the Roku using a USB splitter will work. Has anyone tried this? Since the Roku must be connected to a power source at all times, would it be a problem to have it connected to a power source and a USB stick to read from at the same time? In other words, is a Roku Express capable of charging and reading from the USB at the same time? 

I appreciate all the help in advance! Hoping I can get some advice before continuing to buy more cables. 

The Roku Express doesn't support connecting a USB drive. The Roku Ultra has a USB port for what you're wanting.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos