Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javtorrez
Visitor

Connect external USB to Roku Express

Hello,
I recently bought a Roku Express for a relative, but we can't seem to figure out how to connect an external USB to the Roku Express. After connecting the Roku to an external USB hub, we concluded that the TV itself is not capable of reading from a USB stick. However, given that the Roku can read from an external USB, I'm wondering if connecting the USB stick to the Roku using a USB splitter will work. Has anyone tried this? Since the Roku must be connected to a power source at all times, would it be a problem to have it connected to a power source and a USB stick to read from at the same time? In other words, is a Roku Express capable of charging and reading from the USB at the same time? 

I appreciate all the help in advance! Hoping I can get some advice before continuing to buy more cables. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Basil
Roku Guru

Re: Connect external USB to Roku Express

"javtorrez" wrote:
Hello,
I recently bought a Roku Express for a relative, but we can't seem to figure out how to connect an external USB to the Roku Express. After connecting the Roku to an external USB hub, we concluded that the TV itself is not capable of reading from a USB stick. However, given that the Roku can read from an external USB, I'm wondering if connecting the USB stick to the Roku using a USB splitter will work. Has anyone tried this? Since the Roku must be connected to a power source at all times, would it be a problem to have it connected to a power source and a USB stick to read from at the same time? In other words, is a Roku Express capable of charging and reading from the USB at the same time? 

I appreciate all the help in advance! Hoping I can get some advice before continuing to buy more cables. 

The Roku Express doesn't support connecting a USB drive. The Roku Ultra has a USB port for what you're wanting.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
WhoGives
Reel Rookie

I would like to know the answer to this as well. A helpful answer please this time around? 

Cheers

0 Kudos

I've tried using a USB OTG Splitter cable based on a mention I found on the Internet, but here is what I found. With the cable in place, the Roku had no issue booting up, but the remote was non-responsive. I reconnected the original cable and the remote worked fine (so not a low battery issue). I concluded that either this cable didn't work OR something in Roku's boot process was interrupted by the cable being in place which probably impacted the IR's ability to work. I was really hoping to add a USB port to use with the Roku Media Player app.

Maybe it'll work when they switch from Micro USB to USB-C.

0 Kudos
digihill
Reel Rookie

Won't work on the ROKU Premiere either. ROKU needs to catch up to Amazon Fire TV boxes & sticks if they don't have a full size USB connector FireTV's allow the micro USB power connector to use USB devices on them with a splitter cable. ROKU does not allow that at all, too bad for ROKU they are losing business to Amazon's Fire TV by not including this feature on all their device's like Amazon Fire TV does

0 Kudos
jgomer2001

Basically, agree.

However,  now the express 4k+ supports the feature: Roku Express 4k+ Review - It supports Ethernet and USB! - YouTube 

0 Kudos