Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Closed captioning will not turn off

I have the closed captioning turned off on my player and all my apps but it is still on the screen. I've checked the tv too. Anyone else having issues or have a fix? I went as far to do a factory reset on it also.
38 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Closed captioning will not turn off

@Berrishaker wrote:
I have the closed captioning turned off on my player and all my apps but it is still on the screen. I've checked the tv too. Anyone else having issues or have a fix? I went as far to do a factory reset on it also.

Depending on the channel, the closed caption function is controlled within the channel itself. They ignore the caption settings of the Roku itself. Amazon and Netflix are two examples. You might even be able to control the captions from a web page for the service itself. I don't use Netflix any longer, but I recall that captions could be controlled within the user account profile. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

I've checked all the apps too and cc is turned off on them also
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am experiencing the fact that Roku keeps turning on closed captioning.  I turn it off, verify it is off.  Go to an app.  Sling, Tablo or others and it is off.  Then I switch to another app and it is back on.  I go back to Roku turn it off, go back to the app I was just on and CC is off.  So I know the issue is with Roku and not individual apps.  How do I keep it permanantly off.  I've had Roku for years and have never turned on CC since I don't need it.

Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same problem. It just started tonight for me. I watch tv through sling and there is no control for turning cc on or off in their set-up area only various types of cc to use. Hope someone figures it out I really dont want to find a new device to change to.

Highlighted
Level 8

I can turn it off, the next time I watch TV or streaming service it is back on and I have to close the app, shut it off and then it happens all over next time

Highlighted
Level 8

Verity that you have CC shut off in Roku in the settings and then verify the app is also setup with CC off. Mine will shut off but then reactivates next time I use the device.

Highlighted
Level 8

That is exactly what is happening to me.  I turn if off.  It is off, then later it is back on.  Roku just resets the option to Always On.

Highlighted
Level 8

Same here.  Turn captions off, open Disney +, and they're correctly gone.  Close, and re-open the app, and POOF, they're back on again.  Very annoying.

Highlighted
Level 8

I've had to turn captions off in the roku settings multiple times a day.  It would really be nice to know why this is.