Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Freescotland
Level 7

Re: Closed captioning will not turn off

This is a Roku bug. Hopefully an update is pending.

Jayriddle72
Level 7

Closed caption on during recording playbacks

I use Roku and YouTube tv. When watching oive tv, no closed captions however when I watch a recorded show there is closed caption? I checked that I have the closed caption turned off and it is off. 

Any suggestions??

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jho001 @Freescotland @GeezerX2 

Thanks for the note.

What channel(s) are you having the issue with turning the closed captioning off? 

For more information about closed captioning, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
david101011
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R Is this a joke?  After all this, you still think it's that your users don't know how to click buttons?

Trust me, I'm a software engineer and I know that almost all problems are PEBKAC.  This is not one of them.  Roku software is turning captions back on for Disney+, Netflix, and a number of other apps, regardless of system settings.

jho001
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@jho001 @Freescotland @GeezerX2 

Thanks for the note.

What channel(s) are you having the issue with turning the closed captioning off? 

For more information about closed captioning, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny,

thanks for the link on how to enable closed captioning.  but you seem to have missed the point that alot of users in this thread are having.   *enabling* is *NOT* the problem.

the problem is that all 4 of my Roku devices enable closed captioning  *WITHOUT ANY USER INPUT*

the solution that people are seeking is to keep it *OFF*

it happens no matter what channel we watch, netflix, amazon video, tablo, it doesnt matter.

my new Amazon FireTV Stick is on its way to me as we speak.

thanks,

a former Roku user

AnnTL
Level 7

I am having the same problem with the closed captioning constantly turning on it's own. I shut it off on Netflix, Hulu Live, Amazon Prime, youtube and it turns back on when I reload the channel. It's a real pain in the ... FIX IT ALREADY!

M-Panda
Level 7

I'm so frustrated with this problem, and am glad to see that it's not just me. I watch a lot of foreign films and cc is not the same thing as subtitles. I have to go in and change the setting every time a new episode starts over multiple apps. Also, YouTube randomly turns close caption on or off, even though my account is set to have the cc turned off. Like other users here, I have the Roku system menu set to cc off and find this the be any annoying and obtrusive flaw. I hope this can be resolved soon. I've only had Roku for about two weeks, and I'm thinking about getting rid of it over this issue.

M-Panda
Level 7

***UPDATE and FIX***

Hi everyone,

So I mailed customer support and they helped me fix the problem with the following steps:

Please perform the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that would resolve your issue.

• Restart the Roku ( Settings > System > System Restart > Restart)
  • Turn off the closed caption.
  • System update ( Settings > System > System Update > Check now 

After this is completed, make sure cc is off in the Roku menu and in your individual apps.

0 Kudos
BARBVA
Level 8

I had posted earlier same thing happening to me. Since then I found a YouTube video that showed another way to turn it off, and so far it has worked. Not sure if it will be permanent but worth a try.

Here is video with simple instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEDWfdv594

UPDATE...

After 2 days it did not work.

0 Kudos
MichVet
Level 9

did that.  It didn't help.  It appears that Roku has a security flaw and allows apps to change the settings in Roku.  That shouldn't happen but it is.

0 Kudos