Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rustz44
Level 8

Re: Closed captioning will not turn off

I still am experiencing this issue and it did not start until I updated my Roku app.  Not only the issue with the CC but some apps are freezing up.  example I can no-longer watch NewsMax on Pluto because it won't stream more that 2 seconds before it freezes.

Jaclynsten1
Level 7

Help mine will not shut off

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Jaclynsten1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about enabling/disabling closed captioning, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MichVet
Level 9

RokuDanny,

I have an open ticket they tell me they are researching.  Issue isn't how to go into system and turn if off or on.  Something changed in Roku system and roku keeps resetting it to Always On.  Can happen several times a day. Been happening for past week or so.

david101011
Level 8

@MichVet @RokuDanny-R 

Open ticket where?  This is a very annoying bug and I would love to see at least an official acknowledgement of its existence.  

jhammer
Level 7

Same here.  Go to Settings and its set for "Always On" - change it to "Off".  It's fine til the next time you turn on the TV and then it's back on.  Check settings again and it's set to "Always On" again.  Very annoying!

MichVet
Level 9

@david101011 wrote:

@MichVet @RokuDanny-R 

Open ticket where?  This is a very annoying bug and I would love to see at least an official acknowledgement of its existence.  

I opened a support request with Roku.  This is last note they sent me.  I guess you can reference my request# if you open one. 

I sent them all the apps I have noticed this behavior with, version numbers of my roku and all apps, and other info as requested.

We've added an update to your support request #(3392934). To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Roku Customer Support

this is one part of my initial complaint, probably 3 or 4 replies by this point:

I wish you would read what was written.

1.  I don't have an issue with any apps.  All apps have closed caption
turnoff.  So that isn't my issue. I've had probably over 10 years of
Roku usage so I know what I am doing.

2.  Roku kept resetting the closed caption option in ROKU, IN ROKU on my
personal box.  It keeps turning it on.  Something was changed in Roku to
do that.

3.  I go to any app and closed caption is turned on.

4. I go to Roku options - see closed caption is turned on.  I turn it off.

5. _It stays off for a while, an hour or so to next day. Then it is
defaulted back to CC is on.  That is a Roku issue._

*Please let me know what changes have been made to Roku to correct this
issue.*

ptptx
Level 7

I'm having the same problem on Roku Ultra.  I watch Sling mostly.  Whe I fgo to another app (Pluto, Amazon prime, Blaze) and go back to Sling it turns closed captioning on at least 50 pervent of the time.  I then have to exit Sling, go back to Roku settings and turn closed captions off again.   This havens several times a day

david101011
Level 8

The fact that this happens to multiple users ALL the time, means you -- Roku -- in serious danger of losing customers.  People will tolerate an annoyance once or twice, but every day, day after day?  Chromecast is looking better and better the longer this goes on...

jho001
Level 7

roku has been a long time favorite,  but this CC issue has us looking into other options