Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

Closed Captions turning on by itself

In the past 3 weeks or so closed captioning turns on by itself.  Every couple of days I have to go into settings and turn it off.  For the most part I notice this when I use the Roku channel.  I am assuming that this is a due to a Roku software update but I would love for it to stop!  Any help?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Closed Captions turning on by itself

Hi @n88yanks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

Please cite specific content title examples that you have tried to play in The Roku Channel that are experiencing an issue?

We also suggest trying to remove the channel, update the Roku device by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now, restart your Roku device, and add back the channel.

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

Thank you! Tried the update and reinstalling the channel and we're still experiencing the problem.  We experienced the problem in "Covert Affairs", "Ransom" and I think "Benson" on the Roku channel.

Jim

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@n88yanks

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still experiencing an issue with your closed captions turning on by itself after you have turned them off, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HisSvt2
Roku Guru

All my Roku devices have been doing this as well I have 5 and they keep doing it. I sent in a support screen shot too and nothing I make sure it’s off I’m setting amd at some point every day it’ll just be on in another app and does this across multiple devices amd I am not resetting or re installing anymore because that doesn’t make it stop.

0 Kudos
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

Thank you.  This is still occurring on occasion.  It occurred again last evening on the MLB app (the problem has also happened on the Roku channel).  Here is the info you requested:

Model - 4210x - Roku 2

Serial nbr - 5f4646137617

Software version - 10.0.0 - build 4209-04

Last night it occurred on the MLB channel - timestamp 2021-07-26 00:17:12Z

Issue number 17-296-657.

Thank you for your help!

Jim

0 Kudos
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

This is still occurring.  Any update on a fix?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Pablo70

I purchased a ROKU Ultra Model# 4800R on 7/29/2021 direct from ROKU and it was received on 8/3/2021.  Current Software version: 10.5.0. build 4208-C2. I have been using this ROKU Ultra Model# 4800R with a Sony TV and all has been well up until about a month ago, when all of a sudden the subtitles started appearing. I tried turning them off multiple times and they just continued. I also disconnected the ROKU from my TV and reconnected it, but it still is constantly displaying subtitles. The subtitles only occur on all YouTube TV channels (not on Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max,..etc).

Today, 12/10/2021, I switched the new ROKU Ultra over to a Toshiba TV and the subtitles appear on all YouTube TV channels also on the Toshiba TV.

Today, 12/10/2021, I then connected an older ROKU Ultra  Model#4640X to both the Sony and Toshiba TVs and - no subtitles!!

I also have two other ROKU products (a ROKU 4) and a TCL ROKU TV, and neither of these products have experienced the same problem of not being able to disable closed captioning. 

Based on years of selling electronic equipment, it appears to me that the ROKU Ultra Model#4800R, which I purchased direct from ROKU on 7/29/2021 and have only had for 4 months and 7 days is defective.

Please advise how we can replace this defective device with another ROKU Ultra.

Regards,

Pablo70

0 Kudos
n88yanks
Channel Surfer

I reported this in July and it is still an issue.  I'll turn off closed captions and it's ok for a few days and then the issue pops up again.  It looks to me like it occurs every time Roku releases an update.  I'd really like it fixed.  Roku? Are you there?  Hello?

0 Kudos

I've been having this issue for years - to the point that I've created a macro on my universal remote to turn closed captions to 'Always Off'.

This has happened across multiple Roku devices; currently, I have the Roku Ultra.  It occurs across apps: Sling, Discovery Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and Pluto TV.  It seems to happen overnight; when we wake up CC is on and will stay on until it is manually turned off.

I've attempted the uninstall, update, and reinstall; however, it's not isolated to a single app or a single Roku device.  It does not seem to correspond with a system update or checking for an update.

0 Kudos