Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
iaw4
Level 7

Closed Captions on *

I use my roku 4k stick primarily with the Amazon prime app.

Now, my favorite feature on the Roku was that I could press '*' and switch closed captions on or off  Moreover, the stick was reliable in that the "wind 5-seconds backwards" feature put the captions on.

since about a month, it seems to have lost both features.  the former is gone, the latter seems to work with some apps but not others.

could someone please enlighten me what happened?  or where to complain to?  I wonder whether this was roku or amazon doing it.

/iaw

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Closed Captions on *

As far as the forward and rewind issue, that's under the control of the app developers. Amazon actually changed that some time ago, but you might not have noticed. YouTube did the same, although you can still FF the old way if you hit pause first, then the right directional button. For the * button function, I believe Roku themselves changed that behavior, but again it happened quite a while ago. 

For captions on rewind, that feature should still be there under the Accessibility menu under Captions mode. The TV next to me shows Off, On Always, On Replay and On Mute. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
iaw4
Level 7

thanks.  is there a place where one can suggest to roku to bring back the CC under "*" ?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the suggestion here. Some channels do support our * menu settings (during playback) to control closed captions, while others have chosen to control these specifically within the channel itself. If you aren't seeing the * menu option available in a certain channel, please feel free to contact that channel provider directly to inquire further and share your feedback with them. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
bmfc1
Level 7

The closed caption function is not working on my TLC Roku TV.  It was working and now it's not.  Yes I have the menu on "always" and yes I know what I'm doing.  It was working on CBS All Access and HBO GO one day and then it's stopped. 
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bmfc1 

Thanks for letting us know. Could you try going to Settings>System>Power>System restart and restarting the TV, then trying again? You might also try removing the channel from the Roku home screen, restarting the TV once more, then adding the channel back again. 

If both of those steps are helping clear up the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your TV from Settings>System>About so we can investigate further. 

Thanks!
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion here. Some channels do support our * menu settings (during playback) to control closed captions, while others have chosen to control these specifically within the channel itself. If you aren't seeing the * menu option available in a certain channel, please feel free to contact that channel provider directly to inquire further and share your feedback with them. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Wasn't it a channel certification requirement that channels adhere to the global menu setting? Is that no longer the case?
Plex previously would play forced subtitle tracks regardless of the global setting until Roku change the certification requirement.
0 Kudos
MMariano2387
Level 7

Hi, piggybacking on this topic I am having a weird issue on my Roku using YTTV where when I have the closed captioning turned on they get stuck and I have to hit the * button on the Roku remote every line to have the CC update. If I don't hit the * it just sits on the last line. Really weird and can't figure out why it's doing it.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MMariano2387

Have you tried removing the channel from the Roku home screen, restarting your device from Settings>System>System restart, then reinstalling the channel and trying once more? Does the issue persist from there? 

If so, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, the serial number from your device, and if possible, a link to a brief video clip of the behavior you are seeing. I'll help take a closer look and provide feedback over to the channel provider. I'd also recommend following up with YouTubeTV support directly to report the issue and request any additional support they may be able to provide. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
ClancyCat
Level 8

Somewhat in this vein--a bit--is there any way to reach out to an unknown, unlisted channel provider to REQUEST CCs?  I love, for example, the old Charlie Chans.  A new "channel" has popped up, with nearly 40 of the old Chan movies--but they appear to not have captioning.  (Yes, I've reset them in the main settings menu, etc.  BTDT with all the usual fixes for MIA CC.)  My spouse, who is nearly stone-deaf, can't watch them with me, for obvious reasons.  I see no way at all to reach out to that "channel" to request same.  There seem to be dozens (?) of other channels much like it (the "Blondie" channel, etc.) and I suspect they don't have it, either.

Does anyone know who/what/when/where/why or how I can ask that channel developer/owner for cc?

TIA.
0 Kudos