Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning stopped working on 3/14/2022

@Portlandia2022

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Is this issue happening on specific channel or does it happen across all channels? Have you made sure that subtitles are turned on your Roku device, as well as within the channel itself?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Califdan
Channel Surfer

So, a month and a half to hear anything from Roku.  Way to go.  A bit slow on the draw there, don't you think?

The issue was that one day there were no longer captions on an Acorn show where the same episode the day before was showing captions (we paused and resumed the next day).  We noticed the problem on 3 of the 4 services we checked.  As I recall the only one that still had captions was Netflix.  PBS, Acorn, and Britbox did not. 

After leaving each service and going back to the Roku home page, then going to settings and discovered that CC was set to "replay only" (whatever that means) so I set it back to "Always".  Again went to Acorn, britBox and PBS but still no captions.  So, back to Roku page and once again discovered that the CC setting had changed itself back to "On replay only".  Repated this several times to no avail.  Every time I set it to "always" and went to one of my services it changed itself back to "On Replay Only".  

As there was no discernable way to get in touch with anyone at Roku for problems such as this (which I found quite annoying and poor customer service) I got in touch with someone at Acorn who walked me through downloading a fresh copy of the Roku SW (and for good measure the Acron SW as well), then doing a cold boot of the Roku box (a model 3 set top box I believe).  This solved the problem for all 3 services.   

So Acorn gets a 10 for having customer support, listing how to get in touch with them, and for solving a problem that wasn't even with their tech.   Roku gets a rating of 1 for not even providing a means to deal with issues.  At this time the problem is solved for me, but I'm still getting notices when other people post on the thread that they too are experiencing the same (or similar) problem.   

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Califdan

Thanks for the post.

In addition to making sure that the Roku device Settings has closed captions enabled, have you also made sure that the channel themselves have closed captions turned on?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Califdan
Channel Surfer

Yes,  CC was turned on in the various services.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Califdan

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Califdan
Channel Surfer

In my reply posted last Wednesday,  What part of "This solved the problem for all 3 services."  Don't you understand?

0 Kudos
carolinakstew
Reel Rookie

It’s now June and I keep checking this thread for answers. Mine is gone as is my mother’s on Roku. I have a Samsung and don’t use Roku with all the same streaming options and they all have cc. It is ONLY on Roku. I’d love a solution. 

0 Kudos
Brenda54
Reel Rookie

on Roku, go to Settings on left side.  Select system, then choose System restart. Always reinstates closed captioning. Good luck

0 Kudos
Brenda54
Reel Rookie

On Roku, go to Settings,

choose System,

choose system restart. 

You should have your closed captioning back. 

0 Kudos
carolinakstew
Reel Rookie

Hi, Brenda, I appreciate the response. I've done that a few times and did it again this morning and still no CC.  Yes, it is toggled to "all".  It has been that way the entire time I've had my Roku but just stopped in March.  Same for my mom's. 

0 Kudos