Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Califdan
Channel Surfer

Closed Captioning stopped working on 3/14/2022

HI,

Been using Roku box  for many many years, always with CC turned on.  Starting yesterday (3/14/2022) closed captioning stopped working on all my regular services except Netflix.  I checked the Roku settings to assure that the Captioning was set to always but that did not fix the problem.  I checked priror episodes that have already been watched with captions but they now do not show captions.  The services I use with Roku in addition to Netflix are Acorn, Britbox and PBS Passport.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks -- Dan

Tags (1)
27 REPLIES 27
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning stopped working on 3/14/2022

@Califdan

Thanks for the post.

During playback, have you tried checking to make sure the close captions are turned on within the app itself?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Denisecft

I'm having the exact same problem starting around the same timeframe.  I can manually turn on CC ON ALWAYS and watch one episode on HBO, Netflix, etc and when a new episode begins or I switch to another show,  all the CC settings in both the ROKU app and the streaming app, like HBO revert back to OFF and I have to manually turn then on again. Itried what Danny suggested and no change. Is there a fix for this?

Califdan
Channel Surfer

Spoke to Acorn Tech support as Roku doesn't provide such support for technical problems.   Here's what we did to resolve the issue

1)  Uninstalled Acorn (the app that was missing subtitles)

2) In Roku, updated the SW to assure it is running at latest version

3) unplugged Roku, waited 30 secponds, plugged it back in

4) Re installed the Acorn App in Roku

5)  Updated Acorn SW just to be sure it has latest version

6)  Set Roku to show captions all the time

Now I get captions on all apps all the time. 

RZIMMERMAN149
Reel Rookie

I'm not getting closed caption on anything. Just happened tis afternoon. It worked this morning.

0 Kudos
Califdan
Channel Surfer

I'm no expert, but try updating the SW on your Roku box,  unplug or turn off the box for 30 seconds then plug back in.  then assure the Roku is set for captions all the time and see how your apps work.

0 Kudos
Brenda54
Reel Rookie

In step 2 what is SW you refer to?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Brenda54   SW is software.  Go into settings on your Roku device and under systems update software.

0 Kudos
Brenda54
Reel Rookie

Oh goodness I should have known that. I’ll try later. We are so dependent on cc. Thank you

0 Kudos

Us too!!! Always been on and last month started turning off with every power off.  Now won’t even stay on between channels and worse yet between episodes on same channel. Very frustrating.  What did they do?!!! No software update needed.