Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning always on

@ROCKYJJ

Thanks for the post.

If the closed captions are turned on in your Roku settings, you may need to check to make sure they are enabled on the channel itself as some channels have their own separate controls.

For more information about closed captions on Roku devices, visit our Support page here: How do I enable closed captioning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mikeschr
Channel Surfer

This has been happening to me for a few months now.  Captions turn themselves on in system settings.  I turn them off and later they're turned on again.  I never turn them on in any app.  It happens on 2 different Roku devices.

I see people talking about the CBSN app, which I don't have installed.

I've been a Roku user for a long, long time but I'm this close to ditching Roku and getting a different device if this doesn't stop.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mikeschr

Thanks for the post.

What channel(s) are you seeing this issue occur? In addition to the Roku settings having closed captions turned off, have you made sure that the channel settings also have the closed captions turned off?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mikeschr
Channel Surfer

Yes, all channels have closed captions turned off until they begin to appear spontaneously.  I have never turned them on myself on any channel.

I've seen captions appear on their own on HBOMax, MLB, and Hulu for certain. Of those, only HBOMax has a channel-level setting, and the channel-level setting has turned itself on whenever this happens, at which time captions have often been turned on at the system setting.  However, they aren't always both turned on at the same time - it's inconsistent.

They may have also appeared on other channels I'm not remembering.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mikeschr

Thanks for the follow up.

We would be more than happy to investigate this issue further should it happen again in the future.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mikeschr
Channel Surfer

Model 3600X - Roku Stick

Serial 5S56DA196352

Software verrsion 10.0.0 build 4209-24

Tracker ID 52-314-983

I checked to see that captions were off in system settings.  I used the Plex app version 6.8 build 3 and checked the system settings again and captions had been turned on in system settings.  I used no other channels.

I saw no captions while using the Plex app, but the videos I played may not have had captions.

I was able to duplicate this sequence twice.

0 Kudos
mikeschr
Channel Surfer

I'm disappointed that there's been no response to the information I gave two weeks ago.  I'm now sure that the Plex app is turning on captions in System Settings after I play videos in Plex, even though I never turn on captions anywhere.  I now know to go and turn off the captions after each time I use the Plex app, but this is tedious and does not exactly inspire me to keep using my Roku when I have other devices that don't have this problem.

0 Kudos
rickitty
Reel Rookie

Peacock captions affect entire Roku

I like my Roku captions set to On Replay. But when I enable captions on Peacock, the setting for my Roku captions changes to On Always. Anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes? Thanks.

0 Kudos
rickitty
Reel Rookie

Re: Peacock captions affect entire Roku

(Roku Streaming Stick+ bought in 2018)

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Peacock captions affect entire Roku

@rickitty

Thanks for the post.

Please see my previous post above and I'll be able to pass along the information to the appropriate team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos