Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llfull60
Binge Watcher

Re: Closed Captioning always on

Mines started working today.

0 Kudos
FM4
Reel Rookie

I've had the Roku TV for about a year, and this just started happening to me a day, or two, ago. Very annoying, but it seems to be unresolved for now.

0 Kudos
DP2000
Reel Rookie

I believe this problem is related to specific Roku channels, in my case, the CBSN channel always sets my 4K Roku TV to "always on". Other major channels don't have this effect.

4ElectFew
Reel Rookie

I just checked mine and CBSN resets it to Always On, and checked others, and it doesn’t happen. 

4ElectFew
Reel Rookie

I found that to be true with mine, also 9.4 update. I guess I won’t be watching CBSN until this issue is fixed. Using Ultra LT remote. 

rh55balcolm
Channel Surfer

Kudos for finding the issue with Closed Captioning.  Never put it together that it was CBSN.  Drove me crazy. NOW let's fix it Roku folks!!!

DP2000
Reel Rookie

I notified the support team at CBS News channel. They asked for software/hardware versions I'm running to duplicate (and fix) the problem. 

4ElectFew
Reel Rookie

Excellent! Hope that we hear back soon from them and they have fixed it. Thanks for doing that! 

0 Kudos
stingii

I just wanted to pop in and hopefully someone may find this helpful. I was having the issue of CC staying on even though I turned it off in the Roku from the Home screen>System settings. So many suggestions I found here are so complicated and time consuming so I kept searching, I mean who wants to futz around with removing channels, restarting the system, reinstalling the channels..blah blah blah. Anyway to the point, what I found is a quick and dirty fix that worked for me mostly because it is really quick.......if you have the CC turned off in the main menu of the Roku and you still get CC on that programs you are watching just hit the pause/play button on your remote, you will see either the cc box on the bottom right or just directly beneath the pause bar, scroll over to it and click on it, it will bring up a menu where you can turn it off there for the program you are watching.....done!

This worked so quick and easy I just wanted to share, we just got our TCL 6 series roku TV 4kHDR so it is taking some time to get everything set up and working to our liking. This one particular topic was annoying because of so many workarounds that took way too much time. I hope this little quick fix will help others that get frustrated by taking so much time to figure this out.

0 Kudos
ROCKYJJ

I have the opposite problem I have cc always on. If doesn't work at all. I leave it on and no captions appear. I used to be able to leave it on, then turn off if not used. Now it doesn't stay on at all. Fix this