Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Roku Guru

Closed Caption bug with 10.5, build 4208 on the Kanopy channel

I'm curious if anyone else using a 4800R running the latest firmware has noticed that regardless of title, any movie on Kanopy streams with closed captions. The Roku Accessibility/Closed Captions is set to OFF, but when Kanopy is launched, it changes the setting to ON! Going to the Kanopy channel settings and DISABLING closed captions also fails to solve the problem. 

While minor this is very frustrating and needs to be fixed.

Ever since 10.5 firmware was released, there's a big problem with closed captions on the Kanopy channel. 

When I go to watch a film, regardless of the language, there are closed captions on every one. When I disable closed captions in the channel settings nothing changes. Worse, yet once I begin watching something it turns ON the Accessibility/closed captions in setting when I always have it OFF. 

I'm going to try removing, power cycling and replacing it, though I have a feeling this is a bug in the firmware interaction with Kanopy. I do NOT have this problem with any other channel. 

I have a Roku 4800R with a high speed wired connection running 10.5, build 4208 and a complete home theater system.  

Please look into this and reply. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Closed Caption bug with 10.5, build 4208 on the Kanopy channel

Hmm... strange.  I just fired up "Some Like It Hot" on Kanopy on my 4800 with the same firmware version and I'm not seeing that.  The Kanopy setting seems to toggle the global setting just as it should.  If I go into another channel/app and disable CC and then go to the Kanopy channel it's still disabled and vice versa.  However, if I change CC under Settings within Kanopy and exit the channel without actually starting a video it doesn't stick.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Closed Caption bug with 10.5, build 4208 on the Kanopy channel

Well this IS interesting. I removed, restarted and replaced the channel and it still does the same thing. Were I to experience this with other channels, I'd probably do a hard reset. Very strange for sure!

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Kanopy 10.5 firmware closed captions bug

@jontalk

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
jontalk
Roku Guru

Danny,

The tracker ID process fails to work since pressing the Back button immediately returns to the home screen; sorry. In a troubleshooting effort, I have removed, restarted and replaced the channel to no avail.

Device name: Roku Ultra, S/N X01000YC7LRJ, Firmware 10.5 build 4208

Kanopy Channel, version 4.3 build 20200602. Closed Caption setting :"DISABLE"

Problem: clicking a title immediately changes Roku accessibility/closed caption setting from OFF to ON.  

In spite of the channel's closed caption setting being disabled, it streams EVERY title with closed captions.

PLEASE investigate this as its extremely frustrating. I've reported it to Kanopy support but have yet to get a response.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jonathan, that's the way the Tracker ID generator works. Don't worry that it takes you out of the channel. It takes a snapshot of internal settings at the time you press the button the first time, but you have to complete the sequence to save the data into a file that Roku can retrieve. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

OK thanks. I did press home and back five times even though I saw nothing on the screen afterward. I assumed it was similar to the secret code that takes you to a different screen. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Thought I'd mention that I repeated the remove, power cycle, replace procedure but nothing changed where the problem is concerned. Were other channels to have the problem I would do a factory reset, but that's not the case 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
atc98092

Sounds like you might not have hit the button sequence quickly enough. Five times on home, then five times on back, and a screen will pop up with the tracker ID number. Write it down and pass it to Roku here. 🙂

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

While I appreciate the response, if you look at the one from Danny who is a Roku team member he stated that when the buttons are pressed it records a log the developer can check. I've tried this multiple times and no screen ever pops up after the process. I know the secret screen procedure and it works as it should 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos