Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawanamc

Closed Caption and Subtitles

Is there a way to move the position of the CC? Sometimes the CC is placed on top of subtitles (as when watching an int'l movie or when the news it streaming information at the bottom of the screen). What can I do to adjust the CC to display in other areas of the tv (OR) to adjust when subtitles are embedded in the program?

6 REPLIES 6
welly1101

Re: Closed Caption and Subtitles

When you are in the app that you are watching (like Hulu), hit the * button on your Roku remote which should bring up your settings menu on the left side of the screen. Look for “accessibility “, and then closed caption. Change it from English to CC1 and it should move it to the bottom.

0 Kudos
ska7

This did not work on my Roku. There was not a CC1 option. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @ska7

I hope you're doing well.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're experiencing?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AwayMoon

I'm late deafened and have needed to use closed captions (CC) for many years. I've never found a way to move the CC to a better position so it doesn't cover subtitles.

Changing my CC text style options helped me. I set both the background and window opacity to "Off" which makes them transparent. Then I'm able to see the subtitles that are behind the CC and can figure out or actually see what's being said. I also set my CC text size to a smaller size.

To change your CC options you need to do it through Roku, not through your TV menu.  In Roku, go to "Settings", then to "Accessibility" then to "Captions Style". Select "Background Opacity" and set to "Off". Do the same with the "Window Opacity". If needed you can make the CC smaller by selecting "Text Size".

Hope this helps. 

don222

there is no closed caption in the accessibility section when i access it this way on my roku 4k streaming stick

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@don222

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos