Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rodigal
Reel Rookie

Clear Motion Index 120Hz CMI

What exactly is "Clear Motion Index 120Hz CMI" does it give you what the call the soap opera effect?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Clear Motion Index 120Hz CMI

Not really. It's simply some marketing term for an enhanced refresh rate for the display, likely done in software and not the native screen refresh rate. Soap Opera Effect generally comes from frame smoothing and judder controls. Each TV brand likely labels it differently. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Rodigal
Reel Rookie

Ohh! A guess they use that to trick people into buying the product under the assumption that it's 120Hz. So I guess I won't be getting that soap opera effect that I like so much since I got the 43 inch 4 series?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Oh, you can get the SOE on any size of TV. It certainly becomes more noticeable on larger screens, but those settings will do it on any size. Look for settings such as "smooth motion", or some such terms. I usually just disable them all. Some TVs allow customizing the setting, and often you can turn just the judder control up a notch and leave the smoothing off, so SOE doesn't become noticeable. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.