Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmsnyc
Level 7

Clarification on Broadcast Channels

According a Roku support article:

Are there channels that allow me to watch live or local TV?
Yes, there are live broadcast channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, HGTV and Fox. In addition, some cable/satellite companies are creating Roku streaming channels that allow you to access all or most of the channels you get through your cable subscription without having a separate cable box (e.g. Spectrum TV, Comcast Xfinity, DIRECTV NOW).
If you have Roku TV, you can also connect an antenna to access live and local broadcast TV over the ai
r.

It uses the word "also" in front of "connect an antenna"   If we do not have an antenna nor good reception, are broadcast channels such as "ABC, NBC, CBS, HGTV and Fox" provided via streaming?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Vorg
Level 7

Re: Clarification on Broadcast Channels

The networks do have roku channels, but the require you to have a cable, sat, or stream service such as sling. Some also have streaming channel that you have to sub to. Ether way they are going to get into your wallet. Some of the will offer select shows for a short time anywere from the next day to a month after broad cast. Week after seems more common. CW does have 2 add supported free roku channels. The one called CW has main shows next day, but tends to leave them so you can catch up shows much latter.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

But to connect an antenna, you have to have a Roku TV, and be within reception range of the broadcast station. With all other Roku players, as mentioned it is possible to get some live broadcast channels, but they all require some sort of subscription to either a cable/satellite service, or an on-line service like Sling. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ddevonb
Level 8

Actually the Plex channel allows you to watch live tv and record it. You have to install the plex server on a computer and purchase a TV card like Home Run Prime for the computer. You also need to purchase a Plex Pass to be a premium user. The offer quarterly and annual memberships but the lifetime is $119.99 and you never have to pay again. Home Run Prime functions as a 4 channel tuner/DVR and all recordings are saved to your computer hard drive. There is also a function to will cut the commercials as it is recording. The recordings can then be watched on any Roku in the house.
0 Kudos
steelersrule
Level 7

"ddevonb" wrote:
Actually the Plex channel allows you to watch live tv and record it. You have to install the plex server on a computer and purchase a TV card like Home Run Prime for the computer. You also need to purchase a Plex Pass to be a premium user. The offer quarterly and annual memberships but the lifetime is $119.99 and you never have to pay again. Home Run Prime functions as a 4 channel tuner/DVR and all recordings are saved to your computer hard drive. There is also a function to will cut the commercials as it is recording. The recordings can then be watched on any Roku in the house.

LOL.  Sorry to laugh, but that seems like a lot of work!

Please do not take it personally ddevonb.  

Seems like FireTV has the inside track on an inside track with their new Fire Recast.  Of course, that means buying all Fire TV sticks/cubes/stb's, etc... to send it to the other TV's in the house.

But it seems pretty easy setup, and straight forward...
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"ddevonb" wrote:

Yes. I was just referring to the Roku device itself that cannot tune or show broadcast TV. But outboard tuners such as that are certainly an option. Yeah, it can get complicated.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jmsnyc
Level 7

I wasnt asking if Roku could act as a tuner,  I was asking if I get the channels streamed via internet for free (I can provide a cable login)

Unfortunately I got rid of my directional antenna, wish I hadnt but my flat antenna does not work where I now live so unless I invest in a new antenna which may or may not work OTA is not a consideration.,  I also own an HD Homerun Connect 4 tuner but again without a good antenna , its useless 

Plex Pass is on sale for $89.99 btw, not sure if it ended but I feel no real need for it

I actually have Xfinity Instant TV stream at the moment that I could use through their app on Roku
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, there are Roku channels that allow you to authenticate with your cable login. I can't say if there is one for every network channel, but CBS for sure, and there might be others that support a cable login. Since I don't have cable/satellite, I kind of ignore them. Sorry.  8-)
Dan
0 Kudos
jmsnyc
Level 7

Are the channels live broadcasts of the actual stations?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I can't say, since I haven't ever used one. Someone else should be able to answer that. 
Dan
0 Kudos